Friday, July 04, 2008

It Feels Like Ages...


Once upon a time--as all good stories begin there was a girl


Who had several most convincing friends that pulled her into a most joyous and strenuious month called Screnzy.


But this girl soon gave up...too much work...too much school--she just couldn't focus!


Boredom, my friends, can do wonderous things because just the other day she picked up her script once again! Still not sure where to continue but pen in her hand she's oh so much determind!


Somehow liking what she's got she had a most crazy idea---let's post some on Writing Rants!


And that my friends...is where our journey begins!!!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


ANARA'S VOICE
We are said to be of the most intelligent life forms on this planet. We have done great feats; gone to the Moon and Pluto and back, we have created cars which heal our planet, and made robots that have the capabilities of ruling themselves. However, with all the technology we have-even that of which there is to help warn and prevent us from having natural and man-made disasters there was one thing that no form of technology could predict. There was one thing, which for once, technology could not warn us of. For once there was a fight that normal hostility could not solve. Our extinction.


EXT. NEW JERSEY-ATLANTIC OCEAN

Two people, a man and a woman, are in a boat far from shore doing some form of paper work and photography. The man walks off and goes into the captain’s area. The woman stands from her seat, holding her camera and looks out over the horizon, tilting her head and giving it an odd look.

WOMAN

John, you have to come see this!

JOHN

In a minute, Abbie, I’m checking on Shawn’s radar…it’s gone funky.

ABBIE turns her head to look back are the two men in the building-like area of the boat***before turning back. Staring at the odd color of the sunrise and the new sudden ripple of the water, hard and choppy headed towards them.

ABBIE

John! Shawn! I really think you should come and look at this!

She holds her camera to her eyes and snaps a few shots as both John and Shawn, the captain, come out.

ABBIE:

I’ve never seen anything like this before, John, have you?

John shakes his head.

JOHN

No….but whatever it is it’s headed start for us….fast.

Shawn seems on edge as the water gets choppier and the line of something coming towards them becomes painstakingly evident. Quickly he turns and rushes for the cabin

SHAWN

I’m turning us around, guys, we can come out another time and-

His head turns as something begins to rise from the ocean crashing down on the end of the boat sending JOHN and ABBIE flying despite their attempts to hold onto the anchor rope.

SHAWN
(panicy, serious)
Shit….they do exist…

CUT TO:

INT. RANDOM WOODEN SIDEBOARD-NEXT DAY

News papers with different headlines fall on top of the wooded surface with different headlines and pictures of the same thing.

NEWS REPORTER 1

Medical Scientist and Marine Biologist John Myers and his wife, a renowned photographer, Abbie Smith-Myers have both recently been killed in a boating accident on Jersey’s coast.

NEWS REPORTER 2

(Over lapping 1’s voice)

As of Sunday at 5 o’clock officials say they pronounced John and Abbie Myers of Summit, New Jersey, dead on scene.

NEWS REPORTER 3

(Over lapping 2’s voice)

The captain, Shawn McGinnis, had serious head trauma and inflictions to his brain.

NEWS REPORTER 4

(Over lapping 3’s voice)

After extensive hallucinations, Shawn McGinnis has been omitted to a local psyche ward.

NEWS REPORTER 5

(Over lapping 4’s voice)

Devastating boating crash in Atlantic Ocean rips parents away from young Anara Nicole Myers and sends family friend to psyche ward with extensive injuries. Finally, the danger lurking within the marvels ocean decides to show its full colors….

NINE YEARS LATER

INT. SUMMIT NEW JERSEY—DINER—EARLY AFTERNOON


The diner is extremely busy and in the midst of it are ANARA and ETHEN. ANARA slips down into a booth across from ETHEN as he slips in himself.

ANARA

(Taking off her apron)

Alright, you have my full, undivided attention, Ethen, what’d you want to tell me so badly?

ETHEN

(setting their ice cream down in front of them and pushing their burgers to the side for after)

I found another school.

ANARA

(grabbing spoon)

You’re already in college.

ETHEN

You know what I mean…this schools like the finishing touch-after this I’ll be able to get my degree.

ANARA
(Poking spoon into ice cream)

And where is this school?

ETHEN
(Avoids eye-contact and plays with his spoon in the hot fudge of their large Sunday)

…Montana…

ANARA
(Eyes widen as she looks up at him and blinks a few times before allowing her spoon to fall into the ice cream sundae)


MONTANA?! Montana?! Of all places to finish school you pick Montana which is like two-gazillion plus miles away from here—from me!

ETHEN

(sighs and spins spoon in fudge again)

I’m not trying to get away, Anara, you know that. You’re my best friend, we’re peanut butter and jelly remember? We just fit. I’ll be back sooner or later—plus there’s this thing called technology, it’s wonderful really. With it they’ve invented phones, television, robots, hyper speed jets…

ANARA

(Holds up hands lightly while rolling eyes)

Alright, alright! I get it; I’m over reacting…sheesh….You’re acting like me the time I had to go to church with your family in order to get out of a family reunion with my grandmother.

ETHEN
(Smirks and allows chocolate fudge filled spoon to linger on his mouth before enclosing his lips around it and then pulling it out)

I think you looked nice in your white, foofy Sunday dress

ANARA
(Looks up at him again and her eyes narrow)

You’re just saying that to piss me off.

ETHEN
(Smirks keenly)

Its working isn’t it?


ANARA
(Rolls eyes and makes annoyed sigh)
Yeah, most depressingly it is.

ETHEN
(Changing subject)

So how has your summer vacation been so far?

ANARA
(Begins playing with ice cream filled spoon)

Well…..mine was going pretty great. Until I found out my best friend was moving to Montana.

Her now empty spoon slams down onto her napkin for a few seconds before she picks it up again.
ANARA
(Tone irritated; grudge-like)

What about you?

ETHEN
(Sighs)

Come on, what else am I supposed to do? There is a thing out there called a job, Nara.

ANARA

Yeah, well if you haven’t looked around we live amazingly close to Washington D.C. and as far as I’m aware there is no ‘job shortage’ in the children care field or government official offices in NJ or our surrounding states. If there is our world’s gone to hell.


ETHEN

What do you want me to do? Stay in the same state my entire life, Nara?

ANARA

Yes, in fact, I do

ETHEN

I can’t do that, Nara, and you know it. Someday you’re going to have to move away to college yourself and that’ll probably be somewhere far away yourself. It’s a fact of life. We’re born, our parents raise us, society corrupts us and then we move away into the real world only to face its cold cruelness-

ANARA

You’re dad’s a minister or something isn’t he? Aren’t you supposed to be more…I don’t know…optimistic?
ETHEN

….technically I’m supposed to be well behaved, however optimism is not in my job description.

ANARA

Alright, it’s not in yours but it is mine….

There is a long pause.

Montana? Come on Ethen, Montana? Ohio is closer! Heck….Delaware is closer! Anything on earth is closer.

ETHEN

Nara, please, let’s not go through this again…

ANARA

(Getting up)

Fine, let’s not—I’ll just check into work, now.

ETHEN

(Reaches out to grab her arm)

Nara, don’t-

ETHEN goes to release her arm when he notices something in ANARA’S bag and reaches out to grab her arm once more.

Hey

ANARA
(Turns around to look at him)

What?

ETHEN
(Acknowledging an extensively decorated notebook in ANARA’S shoulder bag)

What’s that?

ANARA
(Blinks a few times)
Oh...that, it’s….nothing. Just a notebook of mine. I dabble in it occasionally.

ETHEN

(Shocked)

You write?


ANARA
You don't have to sound so surprised you know, just because I look like a freak doesn't mean I don't have hobbies.

ETHEN
I just didn't know...

ANARA
(starting to leave)
Yeah, well now you do

ETHEN
What is it?

ANARA just looks at him

You know, what is it? Is it a story, poems, what?

ANARA
(Sighs and sits down)

Swear you won't tell anyone, Ethen?

ETHEN
When have I ever ratted you out?

ANARA
(Finally smiles)

Right

ANARA opens bag and takes out note book and places hand on top of it

No making fun of it, it came from a dream and it's completely stupid and ridiculous, I already know that. You can read it but don't tell anybody.

ETHEN
(Looks at her)
I swear I won't
© Katherine LaGassie 2008
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***I am not boat savvy.
There's the beginning of my Screnzy script. If you want more let me know and I'll send it to you =), hopefully, someday I'll finnish it :P. I know some of the script 'grammar' junk isn't correct and all that jazz.. o_O I got a bit lazy I believe....this is the copy of the one I had in Microsoft word...the other one in celtix won't open for me--thank GOD I had the original copy on Microsoft word. I lost a portion but managed to remember it and am working on typing it in now as we speak onto Mic. word.
Things That are Finally Upcoming:
  • Next Shadow of a Doubt chapter
  • Next A World of Difference chapter
<3xthelengthoftheuniverse

4 comments:

KeliaMegan said...

Awesome! That's really good Katie! Of COURSE I'd love to read more. Did you like scriptfrenzy, even though you were too busy?

Miss Katie said...

Sorry for getting back to you so late Kelia! o_O

Glad you liked my little tid-bit lol. Script Frenzy was REALLY awesome, despite how busy I was I liked it a load. It's a lot trickier than NaNo but, still, awesome. =)

I can't WAIT for NaNo, hopefully I'll have enough time to do it despite my full-schedule at school. O_O Are you planning on doing it this year???

Did you do Screnzy--I forgot (sorry!!)...if you did--didya like it???

hugsandkissesmehdear<3

:P

;)

Katiebug♥

KeliaMegan said...

Of course I'm doing Nano this year! I wouldn't miss it for anything. It's my most productive month of the year by FAR. I have no idea what I'm going to do though... I'll have to think about that.

I did do Scriptfrenzy-- got almost 100 pages but it was 22,000 words which was more than the requirement for last year so I figure I won. I did like it, it was really different and really hard and you could definitely tell where my script was planned out and where it wasn't. But it was fun!

XO
KrazyK

LiterallyLauren said...

I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT!

Ohmahgoodness, you amaze me. You're a fiction/fantasy EXTRORDINAIRE! I want to be you. It's official.

I hate ScriptFrenzy. Maybe it's because I basically sucked at it this year.

:)

I love you.
I miss you.
I love you again.
I miss you again.

<3Lauren