I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!
I've kept my writing goal so far!!!! Yay!!!!
Haha, anyways, here is part of my recently started Narnia Fan Fiction. It's not the beginning, but close enough to it and you can catch the drift of what's going on. Basically, the main characters mine, and she's Kim, the daughter of Susan. I'm not sure about either Kim or Martin's names right now, so they're open to change. Also, obviously most of this is in third person, which I'm attempting again after completely losing it after Nano last year. I'm still trying to find my 'voice' if you know what I mean, and some parts I HATE reading over cause I think it's awful, you know. I don't know whether it's worth it to practice third when first is so much easier, but I'd like to be able to do both! I just don't know, lol.
Kim shook her head at his retreating back, then turned to go to the lawn, still a little angry. Why didn’t she have any decent friends?? How had she even got herself mixed up with these people? She was beginning to believe they were all just, frankly, stupid. Suddenly she heard heavy footsteps behind her, and turned to see Martin running up.
“Hey...” she said questioningly, feeling a little confused. For the first time in a long time, she actually gave him a good look, and realized he wasn’t, in fact, that heavy. Why he got the brutal teasing so much she didn’t know, but his red hair, pale skin, and freckles probably didn’t help much. He looked like a large irish man. A kind of cute, large irish man, with really gorgeous eyes, she could tell now.
“Hey,” said Martin, a little breathlessly. “Um...” he looked down at the ground, trailing off.
“I’m really sorry about Erik,” Kim jumped in, feeling bad again. “He’s stupid - don’t listen to him you know.”
“You’re calling your own boyfriend stupid?” Martin said incredulously.
Kim shook her head firmly, feeling a little surprised that he would even think that. “He’s NOT my boyfriend!”
“Oh, sorry,” he said, but his grin gave away that he wasn’t really that sorry at all. “Well I couldn’t help over hearing what you said...” he trailed off again, embarrassed.
“Oh.” Kim bit her lip, feeling awkward. “Well...”
“So I was just wondering if you wanted a ride home, since you gave up yours because of me,” he finally blurted.
Kim let out the air she’d been holding in, in a relieved little laugh. “Sure Martin, that’d be great.”
“Great!” he said, grinning again, “can I take that, princess?” he reached for her backpack.
“Don’t call me that!” she snapped, unable to stop herself in time. She was so tired of being flattered all the time, she just couldn’t help it.
He took a step back, looking a little confused. “I’m sorry,” he apologized again, “can I take that, Kim?”
“Thanks,” she said, smiling sheepishly, and handing him her backpack. “I’m sorry for snapping, it’s just I hate being called that.”
“I could tell,” he replied wryly. “Car’s this way...” he led the way to the school parking lot, and when Kim saw what car he was headed to, she stopped in amazement. It wasn’t any brand new, popular style, but rather clearly from a different era. It must have been 50 years old at least, Kim figured, even though it looked brand new and shiny.
“That’s your car?” she said, amazed.
“Yeah,” Martin said, grinning at it proudly. Kim came up beside him and ran her fingers along the hood. She wondered what kind of history it had seen. “How olds it??”
Martin shook his head. “It’s hard to say, but I think it’s seen the very beginnings of the automobile... it’s a 1911 rover, supposedly. You like it?”
“Yes!” she exclaimed, “I love it! I want it!”
Martin couldn’t help looking pleased. “Well you’ll have to come to my place sometime, because I’ve got a couple more like it. I restore cars, you know.”
“You restored this?” she said, turning to him, amazement written all over her face.
“Yeah, it could use a little work still...” he shrugged humbly.
“Yeah right, it looks perfect to me! That’s just so neat! I’ve always wanted to ride in one of these!” she couldn’t remember being this excited about anything for a long, long time.
“Well here you go,” he said, opening the door for her. “I guess I’ll take you for a little drive into the past.”
Too soon, the half-way-to-antiqued car pulled into Kim's tiny driveway, and her “ride into the past,” was over. “Thank you so much,” she said, turning to Martin. “That was amazing.”
“Any time,” he replied, his gorgeous green eyes sparkling in the fresh afternoon light. He opened his mouth as if to say more, but then closed it again, the grin fading off his face. “I guess I’ll see you around...”
“Yeah...” Kim said, wanting to say more too, but not sure how to go about it. She finally sucked up her courage and said in a small voice “maybe sometime I could come look at your collection...?”
“Yeah!” he said, suddenly grinning again, and Kim felt the entire mood in the car change. She suddenly felt hopeful, like maybe things were about to get more interesting in her life, and she grinned back at him.
“Oh, well I guess we should trade numbers then, to set things up. Got a pen?”
“Right,” he searched the dashboard eagerly for the desired tool, then looked down at the pocket on his school uniform and laughed a little sheepishly. He pulled the evading pen from it’s shelter, but then frowned. “Paper?”
“Oh, I’ve got some in my backpack... but we don’t need it, silly. Give me that,” she grabbed the pen out of his hand, then said a little mischievously, “where do you want it?”
Martin laughed, then held out his palm, turning his head away and saying in mock pain “try to be quick.”
“You wimp,” she said, laughing. When she’d written the number, she handed him the pen and said with resignation, “my turn.”
“You bet it is,” Martin joked, and taking her hand in his own, quickly wrote down a number. Kim held her breath, staring at his face while he wrote. His eyes flicked to hers, and she looked away, embarrassed. “All done,” he said, and she pulled her hand away.
“Thanks again, for the ride.” She climbed carefully out of the car, not wanting to damage any beautiful part of it, and swung her backpack over her shoulder.
“Yeah...” he said, again seeming a little awkward. “Well see you tomorrow I guess.”
“Bye,” she said softly, as he pulled out and disappeared down the road, along with his amazing car. She couldn’t help feeling a little sad; he was the most interesting thing that had happened to her in a long time, and now he was gone. Sure she had his number, but she didn’t know if she’d actually call him. She wanted to, but... she just didn’t know.
Turning to head inside, she caught a glimpse of her mothers face in the window, and sighed. Now she had to deal with this, too? Great, just great. “Hi mum!” she called, opening the front door.
“Darling,” her mum came around the corner, looking a little more tired then usual, and smiled at her brightly. She was dressed as usual, in clothes that were much too tight and youthful looking for her, but then, she’d been pretending she was still twenty ever since Kim had been born. “How was school?”
“Fine,” Kim said, feeling exasperated. She knew her mother was only working up to her real questions.
“Would you like a snack? I just made some cookies.”
“No, thanks,” she plunked her backpack on the floor and took off her coat.
“So...” her mother turned back to her, curiosity written all over her face. “Who drove you home? I was going to come get you...”
“A kid from school - his name’s Martin.”
“Ah.” Her mother nodded, pretending to understand. “I heard Erik just got a car, he didn’t offer?”
“He did,” she replied staunchly, “I declined.”
Her mother frowned. “Why ever did you do that? I thought you liked Erik, Kim!”
“I guess you were wrong,” she said, moving to go down the hall to her room, but her mother blocked her.
“But he’s such a nice boy, darling! He’s handsome, and rich, and knows all the right people...”
“Being handsome and rich and knowing “all the right people” doesn’t make him a nice boy, mum!” Kim said, feeling strangely angry, “and just because he’s the kind of boy you would have died over when you were my age doesn’t mean I will, too!”
Her mother seemed a little surprised at her outburst, but then a sadness overtook her face. “You’re wrong, actually. He isn’t the kind of boy I would have liked, at your age. Not at all.” She turned slowly, moving like a woman twice her age, and went into the kitchen without another word. Kim stood in the hallway for a moment longer, very, very confused as to what had just happened. Then she shook her head, deciding she would just never be able to understand her mother, and headed to her room. Entering it, she sat down on her bed with a sigh, and closed her eyes. A moment later, her mum poked her head in the door, and looked at her for a moment. Finally she cleared her throat, and the sleeping beauty awoke.
“Sorry to bother you, it’s just I’m taking some trash to the dump in a minute, and wondered if you have anything to go...?”
“Uh, I’m not sure,” Kim said sleepily, sitting up. “Let me look.”
“I’ll just leave the bag here then,” her mum said, nodding. “Take your time, I’m in no rush.”
Kim nodded, then slowly dragged herself off the bed, and went to her desk, where she found a few old books she didn’t want anymore. Yawning, she brought them to the bag that stood in her doorway, but stopped before dropping them in. Near the bottom of the bag, she could see a couple of small books. She’d never seen them before, which was strange because she was the only one in the family who really read. Grimacing, she stuck her arm all the way down into the bag, and pulled the books up. They were old, obviously; leather, with brown crinkled pages. Kim opened the one on the top cautiously, and realized suddenly that they weren’t normal books, but diaries. On the inside cover there was a name and a date; Susan Pevensie, 1942. Kim sucked in her breath, finally understanding. These were her mothers diaries. Her mothers diaries from when she was a teenager, a girl just like her.
June 1st, 1942
Dear Diary,
Having just received this diary I was really looking forward to starting it, but now something dreadful has happened, and so I start off with some sad news. Today, I was reading in my room with Lucy when Mother came in, just having been out doing some shopping.
“Children!” she called, sounding upset. Lucy and I looked at each other and then ran to the hallway, where Edmund and Peter were just arriving.
“What is it mother?” Peter asked.
“Children, I’ve made a decision. Your father and I have been thinking about it for sometime, but now with the bombings only last night and the house across the square-!” she stopped, and slowly put her bags down. “You’ve heard that many families are sending their children to the country, just till the war has settled?”
“Of course,” I said, “but those are families who have been bombed or hurt, aren’t they mother?”
“Well, yes, some of them. But you know it is not safe here any longer. We’re going to send all of you to live with an old professor who’s a friend of fathers. He lives far out in the country and it’ll be quite safe there, plus he lives in a beautiful old mansion and you’ll have so much space to play! It’ll be fun, darlings!
Lucy started to cry. “But you aren’t coming, are you?”
“Oh darling,” mummy said, kneeling down and putting out her arms for Lucy, who ran to her. “I’m sorry, but daddy and I have to stay here, for a little while at least. You know we’re just doing it to keep you safe.”
“When do we have to leave?” asked Peter.
“Tomorrow,” mum said, looking up at him sadly. “Go and pack at once. We want you out of the city as soon as possible - you understand.”
“I won’t get to see any of the boys from school this summer!” Edmund shouted angrily, and ran off to his room. Mother shook her head after him, then pushed Lucy away.
“Go on, pack your clothes dear. Susan will help you.”
I didn’t protest, because there was no point in it. Mother’s probably right, it will be more safe in the country, and while I’ll miss her desperately it could be fun. I hope the professors nice! I’m actually a little excited about it I guess, since it has to happen. I just wish the others would see it that way. I think Lucy’s coming around, and Peter just wants to be the man of the family I know, so he’ll be fine. What to do about Edmund though, I’m not sure.
So tomorrow we leave for the professors. I’m not sure exactly where he lives, except that it’s in the middle of nowhere, and we have to take the train to get there. Imagine that - going on the train all by ourselves! I hope it works out all right.
Love,
Susan
Kim frowned, looking up from the pretty writing that was her mothers hand. She’d never told her about going to the country to live with an old professor during the war! What other kinds of things had she done as a child? Sometimes she felt like she didn’t even know who her mother was. Maybe this was a way to find out.
She glanced down at the pretty books in her hands, and couldn’t help wondering why mum was throwing them away. Was there some deadly secret in them she wished no one to know? She cracked open what seemed to be the first one again, peeking at the curly writing. She shouldn’t read them, she knew. It was just plain wrong. But... there was something that compelled her to them. Maybe it was just the desire to understand her mother for once in her life. Or maybe it was some secret magic the books contained, a magic she had no idea of, as of yet.
June 2nd, 1942
Dear Diary,
Guess where we are right now?! We’re at the professors house! And what a house it is. It’s more like a mansion, it’s so huge!! I suppose I should tell some about the journey here before I get into that though.
Lets see, well mother brought us to the station at 8 am! Edmund was crabby because it was so early, or maybe just because he didn’t want to go. It was very sad saying goodbye, and mother whispered in my ear while we were hugging to take care of Lucy. Of course I will. I cried a little, but not a lot, because like I said there’s nothing to be done about it. There were ever so many people at the station though, more then I’ve ever seen before! We got onto the train easy enough though, and soon enough we were off to the country! I love trains, there’s something just so magical about them, you know? Any ways, the ride wasn’t too long, just a couple of hours, and then we were dropped off at the station mum told us. It was a little frightening being left all alone, just standing on the platform with our luggage hoping someone would come for us. I even began to wonder if we’d gotten the wrong station, but after awhile Mrs. Macready, the professors housekeeper, came for us. In a horse and cart no less! It was very strange, but I guess the professor doesn’t like automobiles. Or maybe it’s Mrs. Macready who doesn’t.
Well she picked us up, and took us to the professors house, which like I said is HUGE. Mrs. Macready herself is a little scary, and said never to touch anything and never to disturb the professor. She showed us inside, where the professor came to meet us. He seems like an old dear. Then we went to our rooms and unpacked. I can’t even fathom how big the house is, there will be tons of rooms to explore! Oh, and there’s a lovely yard with some forest and everything, not to mention the huge library downstairs. So we shall have plenty to do, I’m sure.
Edmund and I are still bickering, of course. He says I’m acting like mother, but what am I supposed to do, let him run wild?? Besides, someone has to be in charge since mother and father aren’t here!
Oh Lucy wants me to read her a story, so I suppose I’ll write more tomorrow.
Love,
Susan.
June 4th, 1942
Dear Diary,
Well everyone is a little upset right now. Lucy’s acting very strangely, you see. I suppose I should tell it from the beginning.
Yesterday we got up planning to play outside since the yard is so big, but it was raining. We were all very cross for a minute, but then decided to explore inside. The house is HUGE, as I keep saying, I know, but we haven’t even been in all the rooms yet! Well, we started out exploring, and some doors were locked and there were some empty closets... you know, stuff like that. We got to this room that had nothing but an old wardrobe in it, and Peter, Ed and I all moved on since it was boring. We were in the next room when we realized Lucy wasn’t with us, but she’d only been gone about five minutes so we weren’t worried. Suddenly she came running in to where we were, all excited, and said “Don’t worry, I’m back!” or something of that sort. Obviously we were very confused, and when we asked what she meant, she said that she’d gone into the wardrobe in the other room, and that there was a land called Narnia in it, and she’d been gone for hours and hours and had tea with fawn named Tumnus! We didn’t know what to make of it, because Lucy never makes up stories like that! So we all went inside the wardrobe to see if it was true (though of course I knew it couldn’t possibly be. A Land inside a wardrobe?? That’s illogical!) Just as I suspected, we went all the way in and hit the back wall. Peter laughed it off, telling Lucy it was a great joke, but she got terribly upset and said it wasn’t a joke at all, and went running off!
I don’t know what to do about her - she’s never done this sort of thing before! I wish Mummy was here because she would know how to handle it, she always does. But that’s not the end. You see, Ed was being terribly mean about it to Lucy, rubbing it in and all. Yesterday she was miserable all day, and I heard her crying in bed, so I made Peter talk to Ed about it today, so he’d stop. Well, and he did seem to get better, but then this afternoon he did something dreadful.
We were all terribly bored, you see, so we decided to play hide and seek. Well, I was it, so I started counting of course, and everyone ran off. The next thing I knew, Lucy was running up shouting for Peter, so I supposed the game was over. She came up all breathless, and started in about the wardrobe and ‘Narnia’ again! Except this time, she said that Ed had gone with her, and seen everything she had too! Of course we looked to him, and he looked away uncomfortably, and then said very nastily that they were just playing, for fun. Ugh, I could have strangled him! After what Peter said, he went and did that any ways??? He’s so mean!!
Honestly, right now I’m more worried about Lucy though. She took one look at his face and burst into tears! I ran after her to try to calm her down and get her to confess, but she wouldn’t hear a word of it and didn’t speak to any of us for the rest of the evening. On top of missing mummy and daddy and all, this is horrible! Peter and I are stumped as to what to do. We’re supposed to be in charge, but if Lucy doesn’t stop acting so strange soon we might have to call mummy or something! I’m even a little worried she could be seriously sick or something. We must do something soon. Maybe... maybe we shouldn’t call mummy, but talk to the professor. He could help, I feel sure of it. I’’ll have to talk to Peter about that. I know Mrs. Macready said never to bother him, but... this is getting to be an emergency.
A very worried,
Susan
And that's all I've got so far! :D
Anyways, I've thought of a challenge!! Don't think you're getting out of it this month, muhahahaha.
You can blame it on me being grounded. It made me write crazy things, which gave me the idea. SO:
CHALLENGE FOR OCTOBER: You must all write a silly poem about two friends. It can be an owner and their pet, two humans, a dog and a bug, or whatever.
Take mine, for example:
Dawna Roe and Moe
Once, a long, long time ago,
there lived a girl named Dawna Roe,
her cat went by the name of Moe,
and only had one great big toe!
It’s said Moe was a strange little thing,
for on his toe he wore a ring,
which sometimes let out a little ping,
whereupon the cat would begin to sing!
A singing cat had never been heard,
in Dawna’s town, (The Great Big Turd),
as most cats just relaxed and purred,
so poor, poor Moe was called absurd.
But Dawna new her cat had powers,
and so, decked him out in leaves and flowers,
protected him from rain and showers,
and built him several ice cream towers.
Then on that fateful day in June,
when there was, a grand full moon,
Moe began his last sad tune,
and gave Dawna a farewell boon.
He gave her the riches she always desired,
then with a sigh, sank down and retired,
and Dawna stroked his back, inspired,
till he took his last breath, and finally expired.
With a sob much louder then any other,
She threw herself down, for there was no one to mother,
till as she despaired came peeking, another,
a handsome cat, and Moe’s own dear brother!
And so with last adieus,
Dawna and Moe Two,
Set off to start anew.
ROFL. SO FUN. :D
Obviously it doesn't have to be that long, but the required length is at least four lines, k? Ready.... Set.... GO!!!
A few more things... Katie and the music player on here have gotten me on a mission to find music for my book. This song, like, IS Jenna in RFTS. If you don't believe me, look up the lyrics. Plus it's a really cool music Vid for Elizabeth Swan. Seee? :D http://youtube.com/watch?v=92DpZ6UNimw
Also, everyone must read this - http://oinks.squeetus.com the Shannon Hale/ Megan Whalen Turner interveiw. EVEN if you don't read their books, which btw you SHOULD, it's really, really cool for two authors to be talking like that.
That's all.
Promise.
Hehe.
Annapants
Monday, October 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




21 comments:
:O
I LOVE IT.
I DON'T HATE IT, YOU LIAR!
And challenge ACCEPTED!
That was AWESOME!!!!!!! I absolutly love your style of writing and all the charectors and the way you captured the book, just pure lovienessness!
Hmm i've never been much of a poem writer, can i make hot alter boy make me a poem? LOL
- jessie
PRUE AND FRANK
There once was a really tall giant,
who went by the calling of Prue,
She had no friends,
Until one day when,
She found that one lived in her shoe!
Frank was an eleven-toed toe-sock,
Who was striped and old and blind,
But when Prue was near,
It was always clear,
That the pair were two-of a kind!
Best friends, they swore forever,
And they kept the promise true,
Until one fateful day,
When Frank's sewing did fray,
And he fell apart in her shoe.
Poor Prue did cry for her friend,
But little did she know,
That under her bed,
Was a twin not quite dead,
A eleven-toed toe-sock named Joe!
Told you so. ♥
Lface.
Dear Jessie:
Trust me. I'm not a poet. AT ALL.
I just do it when it's fun. :D
Hiiiiiiii Annna! lol
It's wonderful you-over-criticted-little-writer-you.
I like how you wrote it and all it was pretty sweet :) Kim's awesome :) and I like the journal entries they're awesome too.
Gosh what am I saying the WHOLE thing is awesome!
uuuugggghhhhhh I'm gonna hate you all at the end of this you? :P
I guess, if I must....Challenge accepted....*dies*
lol
Thats great anna! You know I love it. And your FINE at third person. I wish you had posted the begining though...:D
And CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! That will be fun, if I only can turn off my inner editor for a while. GREAT POEM LAUREN! Your really good at writing poems when you do!
KrazyK
My eyes like popped out of my head when I saw five comments this morning. Thank you guys so much!! I'm still not convinced about my third person, but... I'm closer, lol. What do ya'll think of their names? Do Kim and Martin seem right...? I'm not sure... =/
LOL great poem Lauren!!! I'm glad to see everyone's excepted the challenge, and no Jessie you can't have HOB write your poem for you, sorry. :P I know both you and Katie are completely capable of it! Your poems will rock, I tell you!
Looking forward to reading them. ;)
Martin's fine anna, but you know my opinion of Kim. You need something more spunky, maybe Tyra? Or something just more interesting. :D
KrazyK
I like Martin's name but kind of am ify on Kim, it's alright but I could see it as something, like Kelia said, spunkier....
...
That a word?
Okay here's my poem! Its sooooo silly, but that was the point. :D
One lovely day
a fish came out of the blue
and scooped into her mouth
the poor worm Mary Sue!
Mary sue waaaaaiiiiiiled
and shook with fright,
she was quite certain
her end was in sight.
At the sound of her cry,
the fish jumped in surprise
and pondered wether eating
the worm would be wise.
At last the fish made a decision,
and let the worm out.
whereupon Mary Sue
gave a happy shout!
“I shall be your friend forever,”
she swore to all the blue
and so it was from that day on,
the fish and Mary Sue!
There you have it!
KrazyK
Obviously we wouldnt be doing this next month, but I think sometime whether for a challenge or not, we should do a story together.
Like, we each write a section and post it and then someone else does the next part, or we have a story with five characters and we each are a different character...
What do you think?
KrazyK
I. Cannot. Believe. I'm. Doing. This.
Here you go:
Slipper and Clare
There once sat a grasshopper
Who most called Slipper
That was no bigger than a zipper
He sat and he pondered
for many days
how to store all his food
in his tiny twig shelter.
One day a leaf-surfing flea by the name of Clare came along,
She danced and sang
with all kinds of flare
in hopes to cheer up old grasshopper Slipper.
To the flea's glee old Slipper gave in,
He let happiness and cheer come through,
And together the new friends,
built a larger shelter two!
Katie-Bo-Baity
That sounds pretty cool KrazyK :)
OK ok heres mine haha it was actually really really fun! haha
Oh Snap and Blaze
There once was a small little cat named Oh Snap.
Who was, believe me, quite the brat.
She cried and she whined alone in her house until she got her little catnip back.
Now oh snap was not born this way oh no it was how she was raised. And she behaved this way until up came a mouse named Blaze
Blaze took Oh Snaps sock and boy did she throw a hock over her poor old sock no more.
It is the end of my tale oh woe it is a true that Blaze taught the brat of a cat that she was making everyone blue.
So Oh Snap changed her ways and no longer did her owners sigh for now the small little cat was the apple of their eyes!
I love everyons poems!! and once again, i love your story Anna haha
i dont know everytime i think of martin i get this picture of a toatal geek in my head for some reason and kim is a really good name but kinda plain like everyone else said i dunno we've only got a bit of your story so the names could grow on me which happens alot, just go with what you think :)
-Jessie
Thats so great Jessie! And so funny. Wow, we all did our poems in two days! Maybe we should do another challenge for this month...:D
KrazyK
Personally, I like both of the names.
But then again, it's all you, babe!
:D
ILOVETHESEPOEMS!
&& Krazyone?
I'm krazy kreepishly keen on that idea. :D
Congradulations everyone on completing the challenge! Chocolate all around! :D
Haha, we could do a challenge once a WEEK if you like! ;)
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN LAUREN????!!!! *sobs, wails, gnashes teeth*
=P
*picks up Anna's teeth off of the internet floor*
Um.
Home.
But mostly at school.
But.
Um.
Timeless?
Heh. heh.
L
Post a Comment