Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Ramblings

So, it's our seven month anniversary on Tuesday! Can you believe that we've been doing this for seven months? It really doesn't feel like that long to me! I was thinking maybe we should do something to celebrate. Like, I know seven months is an odd number, but celebrating is always good!! I was trying to think of something we could do, since we all live in various area's of the States and definitely could not get together to have a party [:(]. Kelia suggested we do something like all get on at a specific time and do something... or something...
Suggestions please?!
Also, I feel very guilty for not posting more, but I haven't been writing like hardly at all! It's a TRAGEDY!!!! Actually, I think I'm just lazy. :0
BUT, I did start this short story the other day (week, dang it!) and I like it, I just got stuck. It was actually a writing prompt from this fabulous book I got from the library, called The Pocket Muse, ideas and inspirations for writing, by Monica Wood. (Who, incidentally, lives in Maine!)
ANYWAYS, here's what I have. It's not really edited at all, and very rough, so as usual bear with me... Do say what you think!

It all started with Mr. Thursday.
Okay not really. It actually all started... with my daily horoscope. If my Mom ever found out that I read the horoscopes in the paper, she’d be horrified. She doesn’t believe in all that stuff, and you know, neither do I. But there’s no denying what happened. Would it have still come about if I’d never read that horoscope? Who knows!

COMPANY FROM OUT OF TOWN
COULD MEAN TROUBLE

That's what it said. I giggled at the ominous warning, and tossed the paper away. “Come on Sandy,” I said to my dog, who was (you guessed it!) a blonde sandy color. Hence the name. Also, I just like the musical Annie.
It was time for our Saturday morning walk, and Sandy, who had been sitting at my feet impatiently while I read my horoscope, got up with an excited yip. Dancing around my heels, she followed me into the entry way, where I attached her leash.
“I’ll be back in awhile!” I shouted to Mom, who was eating in the kitchen. There was a muffled response, but I didn’t bother to see what she’d said. Giving Sandy a pat, I straitened up and opened the front door... and froze. Because standing right there, on my front steps, was a very strange looking little man. And I mean VERY STRANGE! He was completely bald, and something struck me as really odd about his face. (I realized later that he had no eyebrows. Weirdo) He was wearing an ill fitting suit, so ill fitting, in fact, that the pant legs only came down to his knees. And he had hairy legs. VERY hairy legs. To top it all off, he grinned, revealing a missing front tooth.
“Hello Allie,” he said in a strangely deep voice. I mean, I totally expected it to be high, or squeaky or SOMETHING odd. But no, it was just deep. “My name is Mr. Thursday.”
I’m afraid my jaw must have been practically falling off of my face. He must have thought I was completely cooky, or just really enjoyed catching fly's or something. But I was truly astonished. For this guy, this guy was definitely not from around here. I mean, I KNOW everyone from around here! I’m like, a complete social butterfly. And another thing, Sandy was completely quiet. Normally she’d be yapping like crazy at company or whatever, but she just sat there staring up at the strange man, as if she was mesmerized or something. I closed my mouth and looked down at her, pulling the leash a little, trying to get her to snap out of it. She didn’t respond. While I did this, my brain put a few things together. Mr. Thursday definitely wasn’t from around here, which meant, he was COMPANY FROM OUT OF TOWN. And company from out of town meant one thing. Trouble.
So, I did the only sane thing possible. I slammed the door in his face.
“What are you doing Allie?” My Mom asked from behind me, and I let out a startled little shriek, turning around fast. Mom stood there with a confused look on her face, garbed in her fuzzy bathrobe, with a glass of orange juice in her hand.
“Do we know anyone named Mr. Thursday?” I blurted out, still feeling spooked and desperately hoping the strange little man had gone away and wasn’t going to start knocking any moment.
Mom thought about it for a minute, and then shook her head. “No, I don’t think so. Why?” It was clear by her tone that she thought I was going a little loony. Maybe I was.
“No reason!” I said, still talking fast. “I, uh, I just forgot something in my room. Come on Sandy!” I tugged on the leash, and Sandy slowly got to her feet, following me sluggishly, almost as if she’d been drugged or something. I gave her a worried look, but then determinedly dragged her up the stairs and into my room, closing the door securely.
I took a few deep breaths, saying “Calm down Allie, he was probably just a salesman. Or something.” But then how had he known my name? The unwelcome question wouldn’t be forced out of my head. I bit my lip nervously, and then tiptoed to my window. Craning my neck, I tried to see around the corner of the house to the steps, to see if he was still there.
“Hello Allie,” a voice came from behind me. I shrieked and spun around, practically hyperventilating, to see none other than the strange Mr. Thursday standing in front of my bedroom door. How had he gotten there?
“My name is Mr. Thursday. “ Why was he repeating himself?
“What are you doing here?” I whispered. “Get out!”
The creepy little man grinned at me, and took a step forward. I pressed myself farther against the window sill, feeling desperate. “You don’t really want that,” said Mr. Thursday, and it was absolutely weird, because his voice had changed. It was now a lot lighter, and sort of sing song. Comforting. “You see, I can give you whatever you like. You can live on a ranch, and have sisters. You can have green eyes, and animals. Sooo mannny animals!” How was this possible, he was stating just about everything I wanted! I shook my head, feeling dazed.
“That’s not possible,” my voice sounded fuzzy and strange in my own ears. What was going on?
“Oh but it is,” Mr. Thursday said, stepping forward again. “You can have everrrythiing you’ve ever wanted... and so can Sandy, isn’t that right Sandy?” I watched with growing trepidation, as he locked eyes with my golden retriever, and slowly she moved forward to him, as if he was pulling her there just through the force of his eyes. Suddenly my mind snapped into focus. I hadn’t a clue what this creepy guy was talking about, but he would NOT hurt my dog!
“Sandy!” I hissed, and then, much louder “MOM!!!!” Mr. Thursday didn’t seem disturbed, but simply looked up at me and grinned again. I repressed a shudder. Mom burst into my room, looking all sorts of frazzled and worried.
“What's the matter? Is there a fire?” She stopped short when she saw me just standing there. “Why did you call me?” a hint of annoyance crept into her voice. I stared at her with astonishment, and then looked back at Mr. Thursday, who was, sure enough, still standing right there. Right next to Mom.
“Mom,”I said, my heart sinking, “don’t you see the creep standing next to you?”
“What?” She exclaimed sharply, looking to her left and right. She turned back to me, and now the annoyance was clear on her face. “What are you up to Allie?”
“Mom,” I said, my voice shaking a little, “there is a guy standing to your right. If you stick out your hand, you’ll touch him.” Mom shook her head and stuck out her hand to the right, and Mr. Thursday leaned back so she missed him.
“I don’t have time for your games Allie,” Mom said, turning around, “Why don’t you take Sandy for her walk. She’s acting strange. Then again, so are you!” her voice drifted back to me as she walked down the stairs. I looked at Mr. Thursday, who was watching her go with a curious expression on his face, and realized something.
It was official. I was now completely Insane.
“You’re not Insane,” Mr. Thursday said, turning to me, his voice deep once again. I involuntarily gasped, wondering if he could read my mind. “Your just special, “ he continued, “verrrry special. And I... am Mr. Thursday.”
And then, (I swear I’m not making this up!), he disappeared. Pouf. Gone. Just like that. Sandy immediately started whining, while I stared at the vacant spot where the strange little man had been, only seconds before. After a few stunned minutes, I walked forward and waved my hand in the spot where he had been standing. He was definitely gone. I turned and looked back at the window, which was definitely still closed. Besides, there was just about no way he could have possibly have gone out the window OR the door without me seeing. It was almost as impossible as him disappearing entirely. Almost.
I knelt down beside Sandy, who was pacing around in agitated circles, and petted her, feeling very strange indeed. I was almost disappointed that he was gone, strange as it was. He was the most interesting thing that had happened to me in a long while. The most creepy thing too.
“Well. That was odd girl,” I said to fill up the silence. I tried to ignore the trembles in my voice. Sandy only whined in reply. I figured that must be the end of the Mysterious Mr. Thursday, and tried to move on with my day. But suffice to say, Sandy and I never went on our Saturday morning walk that Saturday. I had the image of Mr. Thursdays grinning face fixed in my memory, and sadly, I was terrified of opening the front door!

Days went by, and I began to believe that the whole thing hadn’t even happened. Maybe I dreamed it. Maybe I had just gone temporarily insane. Maybe, maybe, maybe. I didn’t think I’d ever know, so I tried to forget about it.
It was a mistake. I was wrong.

My next visit from Mr. Thursday came at twelve pm, the very next thursday. You can imagine how happy I was about it. It happened like this.
I was dreaming. Sandy and I were running in the park, and the wind was whipping in my hair. It was a glorious day and everything was beautiful. But then I got a bad feeling. My ankles began to tighten up, and I knew I was going to fall. A face flashed in my minds eye, along with an all to familiar voice. “Hello Allie. My name is Mr. Thursday.” I fell.
I woke up, thrashing around in the sheets, sweating like I had actually been running, with an uncomfortable throb in my ankle, as if I’d really fallen. Once I’d woken up enough, I opened my eyes. And screamed. Because there, leaning over my bed, grinning, was Mr. Thursday!

Any suggestions for what could happen next? :)

Anna

10 comments:

LiterallyLauren said...

Whoa, there!
Firstly, I think it would be awesome to do something, though I'd be in school (which would be kind of funny...).
Anywho.
The story's amazing, Anna! Once again, I'm incredibly jealous that you can just sit down and BOOM! Out flows a story.
;)

Lauren-zo.

AnnaRose said...

Well, we could do it when you got home from school, you know... Or do you stay there all day long??! :D
Ahw, thanks! Although really, it seems to me that you can do the same thing. I mean, remember your frozen child story? Yeah, still in awe about that. And I only can do it, like, once every six months or something. It was wicked fun to write though. But what happens next??? :O

Annabananalikestowearabandanaandwithamandaonabeachwithlotsa'sanda

Okay, don't know where that came from... Lol!

Anna, for real this time! :D

AnnaRose said...

Ooops, that came out messed up.The original was:
Annabananalikestowearabandanaandeat
withamandaonabeachwithlotsa'sanda

In case you wanted to know. Yeah, yeah, I'm weird!!

LiterallyLauren said...

Bwahaha.
You know, I haven't even touched that story in forever. Hmmm... Maybe that's what I'll do tonight, then. :D
And thankye, thankye. Though, like you, that only happens rarely. (And do I need mention that Easter play you wrote? That's totally, drop-dead amazing.)
Haha! No, no, I'm not an all-dayer-school kid. Or whatever. I mean, does that even exist? Because if it does, those poor, poor kids...
Pssh, we could all agree to jump at noon, EST, and I'd still do it (Let's see... I think I have Biology that hour... Haha.)

Laurenwholikestoeatannabananas.
:O

LiterallyLauren said...

Rofl.
I was right. I've actually written four words, only part of a sentence, on the Islandkidsthatarrefrozen story.

Miss Katie said...

That was really good Anna :)
yeah I could only do it like after 3ish.....you guys are so good! lol :)
I'm back to work on my book!(yay!) I should have some things to post soon(yay! finally!) I'm working on the language again(tiring work) though I'm only working on one of the language I have several of them I have to write though I have recruited my cousin to help :) (yay! help! rofl)
Here's a taste of the language: Trin syrlen aye io serhalyn melanire :)
translation: this site is so totally awesome :)

Katie

AnnaRose said...

Yeah, three-ish would work well for me too, I think. How bout thou Laurena?
(And really. You like to eat me???? CANIBAL!!!)
Thanks, Katie and Kelia. I really want to see more of your book Katie!! Post it soon! And your language is BEAUTIFUL!! Could you explain how to pronunciate the words?

Anna

LiterallyLauren said...

Holy MOLEY, Katie! A LANGUAGE?!
I used to make up languages for my characters, but it was just me, typing random letters. Hopefully, they wouldn't repeat a word, just because it would never be the same.
I'm jealous. I don't have the patience for it. :P
In Laurenlanguage: lkahsd hkajhsdh jkhk f d dlaikdfhf.
Translation: Awesome

L-Reyn. ;)

LiterallyLauren said...

Hah!! Anna, you comment at the same I do. Cheater.
:P
Why, yes. I eat you. <3

Miss Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.