Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sometime After Dawn...

The Breaking of the Fellowship

Sleep had been restless. She must have been up off and on throughout the night so the light of day was not welcoming to her sleep withdrawn body. The sound of heavy footsteps filled her ears. “Come on.” Gimli spoke gruffly, tapping her leg with the blunt edge of his axe.

She barely moved. Tiredness had consumed her and was now winning the battle she was fighting with it. She felt so weak and sick as well; which helped nothing.

Again he tapped her leg, this time with a bit more force. “Lenia.” His voice was as gruff as before only this time it was interrupted. “Gimli,” Aragorn spoke hushed, “leave her be…she needs her rest.”

“And the rest of us don’t?” He scoffed.

“M’awake.” Lenia’s words were slurred as she moved her head. Aragorn crouched and placed his hands on her feet, giving them a gentle shake. “Morning,” He whispered to her. It was only when she opened her eyes that she comprehended the time of morning it was.

The sun was high in the sky, shining intently on the forest edges around them. It was hot; the area had, had time to warm. Most of all, by the fact that most everything was packed up, she knew the others had been awake for some time.

Lenia attempted to wipe all tiredness from her eyes, “You didn’t.” She hissed groggily at him. However, Aragorn just gently patted her feet again, “You were exhausted, Lenia. I wasn’t about to disturb your sleep.” Worry showed on his face, “You need it.”

At the sight of his worry Lenia shot up, throwing away all feelings of being tired. “I’m just as able bodied as everyone else here to get up before the sun.” She stated, their eyes locked and equal stubbornness battled – neither winning.

Deeply he sighed and stood up himself. “Just be careful, alright?” He told her and placed a hand on her shoulder. “You don’t look well and it…well after last night I…” Her mentor’s voice trailed off as he struggled for words.

In attempt to ease his worry Lenia shook her head, “Think nothing of what I said last night.” She unhooked a container from her belt, unscrewed the cap and took a swig. “See?” She told him, smiling broadly. “Better all ready.” With that she attached it back onto her belt. Of course she forgot to mention to him what happened when she ran out of that herb. That, she figured, was better left unspoken for the time being.

Aragorn looked at her, his eyes burying deep into her own. He didn’t believe her, that was obvious, and this would not be the end of their conversation. However, they needed to move on; their pace could not be let up. Moving past her he told her, “We’ll talk later.” His voice was curt and protective, the tone of an elder brother or a father – she knew that tone well.

A quiet “Whatever you say, Strider” was her response as she gathered her things in quick time. The thought of food was not appealing to her but for Aragorn’s sake she took a few things of bacon while entertaining the hobbits at the same time.

“You slept late,” Legolas commented as she helped him put their things back on the boats. “I was tired.” She spoke simply giving him barely a glance. It was a colder gesture than which she wished to give him but it was better than the true explanation. There was a silence that proceeded that comment, one where Lenia could tell he was staring down her back trying to decipher the sudden change in her normally cheerful mood. “I’m fine-” She began, turning around only to find him directly behind her.

“Are you sure?” He asked, every doubt that should have been emitting from him was. Lying and deceit were two things Lenia hated and there she was, staring them right in the face. Giving him a faint, half hearted smile she placed her hand softly on his cheek. “I’ll be alright.” She chose her words carefully. “I’m just feeling a bit off, that’s all.” Twisting your words wasn’t lying was it? Changing things so you didn’t have to lie or speak of what was truly wrong. Course not.

Lowering her hand with care she turned back to the boats. The silence that lingered was bitter, she hated keeping these things from him, from all of them, but it was necessary. Solemn eyes turned back over her shoulder to peer at him. Long golden hair was flowing in the wind, face expressionless as he pilled the objects into their boats. He turned and looked at her, eyes meeting only for a moment. “All set!” Lenia spoke abruptly, turning her head to break the gaze. ‘He mustn’t get a good look at me.’ She knew that if he did he’d know things were worse than she was letting on and then he would worry. He’d worry about something that he had no control over and there was no sense in that.

In silence the group continued on, speaking not a word to one another. Tension was high, as well as weary.

“The Argonath” Aragorn’s sudden voice made Lenia’s cloaked head turn, her gaze turning from the dangered shorelines to the statues looming overhead. “Long have I desire to look upon the kinds of old.” Her eyes traveled back to Aragorn, meeting his, noticing the nearly grim look upon his face as he spoke the words, “My kin.”

“Be not grim,” Elvin words felt sweet upon her tongue, “Your destiny lies with them but it so much different. You will not sway.” He spoke nothing but looked at her, lost for words for a few moments and then deciding not to verbal disagree although he did. “How little faith you hold within your self.” She concluded, not even Legolas understanding the strange form of Elvin tongue she was speaking. Knowing full well she wouldn’t get anywhere with her mentor she turned back to the statues, back to the large majestic sculptures that raised hundreds of feet above your head. From where their heads stopped you’d think they were touching the heavens. Beyond them was a great pool of water, ending in a waterfall, surrounded by forest.

Vibrations.

Running through her body were vibrations, feelings of hundreds of feet running across the ground. Her eyes turned, loud screeches reaching her ears, sounds that were far too familiar to her. The sound was of Orc-kind or more specifically, Urak-hai, as best she could tell from the pitch of the sound. A chill ran up her spine as she envisioned the cursed creature’s faces. ‘Don’t let them meet us.’ She prayed to the God’s, though she had a bad feeling the worst was yet to be upon them.

The sound of rushing water was calming as they landed the ships, but not calming enough. A dreaded feeling still lingered in her gut. ‘Something’s not right.’ She told herself as her narrowed eyes traced the shoreline with care. Tearing her eyes from the shore she looked down at the ring bearer. “Come here, Frodo.” Lenia said, gingerly stepping from the boat. The hobbits may have been several years her senior but to her they were still yet children. She extended her hands outward and helped him to shore. “Stay close,” She whispered to him, resting her hands upon his shoulders. “Do not stray, Heaven’s only knows what rests in this wood.” Reluctantly she dropped her hands from his shoulders, despite her wish to keep them there permanently. ‘Gods protect him’ Lenia thought, closing her eyes for a moment. Harder vibrations. Why so hard? Why so fast?

“We cross the lake at nightfall,” Aragorn’s arms thrusting something into her own arms broke Lenia’s thoughts. Her eyes glanced down at the object, some form of a sleeping bag. Trudging up the sandy embankment she placed it by the fire. “Hide the boats and continue on foot.” As she stood she looked over at Legolas, his demeanor was odd as he was staring straight into the thick of the forest. It nearly seemed that he was paying no attention to Aragorn’s words at all. “We approach Mordor from the North.”

“Oh yes?” Gimli scoffed. Lenia nearly swore as she turned around, staring at the dwarf. “Don’t you even start-” She warned him but no, he continued. “Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Mul…an impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks. And after that, it gets even better. Festering, stinking marshland as far as the eye can see...”

Lenia cocked an eyebrow before looking over at Aragorn, who returned her look before facing Gimli, no emotion on his face, “That is our road.” However, as he turned to walk past Lenia, he sent his apprentice a grin. Giving him a curt nod she looked over at Gimli, crossing her arms. “You rattle your mouth off as if it’s some soft of game. Perhaps if you learned to hold your tongue things would fall better in your favor, Master Dwarf.”

“Well she-elf I-”

“I suggest,” Aragorn spoke, butting into to the conversation suddenly, “You take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf.” His comment made Lenia grin, but not as much as Gimli’s reaction. “Recover my-” Anger filled his face and he sat down with a huff.

“Thank you.” She whispered, stepping beside her mentor and falling in step with him.

Aragorn glanced at Lenia, stopping to examine his dagger carefully. “For what?” He spoke innocently as if he had no clue. Once more his eyes looked down at her, giving her as blank of an expression as he could manage.

Accusingly she glanced at him, eyes narrowing into knowing slits. “You know exactly what I speak of, Strider.” Was all her voice purred in a soft but firm voice. The act was enough to get her message across. Aragon’s eyes sparkled at her, enjoying the look that crossed his apprentice’s face. “You’re welcome.”

Suddenly Legolas stirred from his frozen state, walking quickly towards the two rangers. His movement nearly startled Lenia as he had been so stiff and unaware of the world around him before. Upon reaching them he stared at the both, eyes widen circles. “We should leave, now.”

Aragorn shook his head at his old friend, “No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore; we must wait for the cover of darkness.” To this Legolas turned and faced the depths of the forest again. Lenia looked between the two men, resisting the urge to reach out and grab Legolas’ arm, his behavior was worrying her.

“It is not the eastern shore that worries me,” He spoke suddenly, eyes passing along the bark of each tree with intense care. “A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near. I can feel it.” As he finished Lenia slowly ran her eyes along the contours of his face, frozen in time despite his age. He did not look at her, though she was sure he knew she was looking at him as she was sure he knew Aragorn was as well.

There was a silence, an intense silence where Aragorn was processing his friend’s words. Lenia allowed herself to glance at Aragorn, only to find his eyes thoughtful. “I’ve felt it too,” She spoke softly, looking back at Aragorn. Whether or not it helped Aragorn’s thoughts she was unsure, but it snapped both he and Legolas from their trances’. Her mouth was about to open when a question arose that stopped her heart from beating.

“Where’s Frodo?”

The question struck a sudden panic through the young ranger. Immediately Lenia looked at Aragorn, rapping her small hand around what she could of his upper arm, “It’s not safe…he shouldn’t be alone.” Strider’s eyes were moving quickly, surveying the area around them, gears within his mind visibly moving. “Boromir’s gone.” He announced suddenly. Lenia released Aragorn’s arm, staggering back a bit - she didn’t like the sound of that, not at all.

Her mentor looked at Legolas, and then at the woods before finally resting his eyes on her. Locking his eyes on her own he leaned in close, “Can you pin point them?” He asked her.

There was a moments paused where she contemplated the question. Could she? To be truthful, she was not completely sure; she had only done tracking a few times in her life time. Still though, she looked at him, putting on an air of confidence. “Trails clean enough.” Grabbing her arm within his large, rough hand Aragorn commanded the rest of the party to stay at camp while they ran to Frodo. Lenia wasn’t even sure the rest had time to realize they were gone he moved so fast. “Aragorn,” She told him, forcing him to stop a moment. He turned to look at her, looking rushed but giving her his undivided attention. “Sometimes after us, and I don’t just mean the eye. Something’s come in full force at us….at Frodo. What ever it is…Legolas sensed it too – and it’s not pleasant. I would have told you earlier but…I don’t know…I was hoping it was all wrong.”

Aragorn looked at her, nodding softly. “It’s alright, Lenia.” He told her, tugging lightly on her arm, “Make it up to me now, and to him…find him.”

Without hesitation Lenia jerked her hand in the opposite direction, eyes glinting. Somehow she had a gut feeling she could not deny. “This way.” She instructed.

Their feet moved fast, only seeming to graze the top of the leaves beneath them as they ran. Not one crisp leaf crunched beneath their feet, or at least none that they could remember hearing. They had to find Frodo and Boromir, before it was too late. Her heart began to sink as they continued to run in the direction she had instructed, only to find them not coming upon any sign of Frodo or Boromir. “Aragorn,” She sighed, stopping in her tracks, “Strider, perhaps I-” In the middle of her sentence she stopped, eyes widening.

“Lenia?” Aragorn demanded, “Shadow?” He repeated but not even then did she respond. With a swift movement he was beside her, hand on her shoulder. “Masydi?” He shook her shoulders, “What is wrong?”

Lenia’s lips gaped, breath coming in with skipping beats. “He’s here.”

“Frodo?” Aragorn inquired but Lenia shook her head, eyes still wide. “It’s Sauron…he…” Her voice became quiet and her eyes distant. “Frodo put on the ring, Sauron can see him he-” She winced grabbing her head, knees buckling a bit. Clenching her teeth she braced her legs and stood straight, seeing through the fire and smoke that was encasing her vision. Her eyes became even more distant and she closed them, becoming as silent as stone. The way she was acting was beginning to worry Aragorn for her it was unusual behavior.

“He’s this way.” She spoke abruptly grabbing his arm, to get his attention before taking off at full speed “quickly!”

Frodo was on the ground when the found him. As best that Lenia could figure he had fallen when he was taking the ring off. She only thought this because after that point Sauron temporarily left her own brain and her vision cleared.

“Frodo?” Aragorn inquired, stepping out of the woods into the clearing.

Frodo scrambled to his feet, looking with wide eyes at one of the men who had sworn to protect him. “It has taken Boromir.” His voice, though stable, was laced with fright.

Panic seemed to rage through Aragorn from where Lenia stood. “Where is the ring?” He demanded, advancing towards Frodo while Lenia stayed back as a look out.

“Stay away!” Frodo cried, retreating from his advance almost before Aragorn began. The hobbit dashed unto the stone platform as far back as he could go.

“I swore to protect you” Lenia’s mentor told the hobbit, in an attempt to reason with him and show that he was of good nature.

“Can you protect me from yourself?” Frodo asked, opening his hand which held the ring. His eyes raised to meet those of Aragon’s, he was testing to see if he could truly trust the man before him. “Would you destroy it?”

Lenia watched from a distance as Aragorn stared at the ring. It called to him as it did her, an eerie reminder of a dangerous path – one that they all could fall in to. He knelt before the hobbit and enclosed his hand back around the ring, with his on top. “I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor.”

“I know.” Frodo whispered, meeting eyes with the man who had sworn to protect him. As best as he could he looked over Aragorn’s shoulder at Lenia who had at one time been standing away from them. Now, though, she was approaching them. As Aragorn did she knelt beside Frodo, but did not dare touch the ring or hands surrounding it. “You saw him aswell, didn’t you?” He asked.

Lightly she nodded, meeting his eyes, “I did. I was there, with you.” Lenia whispered, slowly outstretching a shaking hand to place it on top of both Aragorn and his. Sauron's voice was loud in her head, as if it was her own. He spoke to her about things she wished not to here and tried his hardest to bring her to her falling. Once more she rose her eyes to meet his. “We have an understanding, you and I, Frodo. I know the burden you bare as I feel it too.” Softly she squeezed his hand. “And if I were given the chance I would stay with you and defend you every waking hour of the day. For that burden is not an easy one for any one person to bare, my friend.” He looked at her and smiled a bit himself. “You’d follow me as well.” He told her.

“Scared as hell the whole way, but I’d go with you into the fires of Mount Doom.” Standing she released his hand. “No matter how you ever feel, Frodo, you are not alone.” With that she lightly kissed his head and turned, to stand look out once more.

Frodo watched her for a few moments before looking back at Aragorn. “Look after the others. Especially Sam; he will not understand.” Aragorn nodded, silence taking over the area around them. His eyes met Frodo’s and he looked down at the hand enclosing the ring – what he saw next made his eyes widen. “Go, Frodo!” He unsheathed his sword. Sting was glowing.

As agile as a cat Lenia made her way onto the stone platform above the two men. Her blue eyes narrowed to pierce the wood, Elvin instincts taking over. From her quiver she pulled her bow and an arrow. “Aragorn!” She called, “We have company!”

“Run, Frodo, run!” Aragorn demanded, walking out to the side of platform just in time to meet the approaching Uruk-hai.

“A whole armies worth.” Lenia informed him, pulling back on the bowstring and releasing the arrow at impressive speed. The arrow hit the first Uruk-hai to exit the dense area of the forest square in-between the eyes. To that information her mentor held his sword in his hands with firm care and smirked softly, an insanity glowing from him that reminded her of her brother. “Well then, let the games begin.” With that he swung his mighty sword out at the approaching creatures.

Steady arrows flew from her bow, knocking down every target they hit. Still, though, the numbers never seemed to truly decline. Even as she loaded two or more arrows on at a time it never seemed to be enough to make their numbers shrink. The clanging sound of swords caused her to turn. Aragorn was making his way up the platform. In one quick motion she had replaced her bow and arrow with her long, deadly sword. “Find the Halfling!” She heard the leader cry several times as she spun the sword in her hand, sticking it through two Uruk-hai at the same time.

“Should one of us follow?” She whispered in a voice so low that no one but Aragorn would have been able to understand her. Crossing behind her mentor she glanced at him, beheading a few approaching Uruk-hai as well. “Not quite yet.” He told her before he jumped off the plat form. Rolling her eyes softly she swung her sword once more, the action sharp and swift even as it sliced through the murderous monsters. The sound of arrows below alerted her of Legolas and Gimli’s presence, that knowing brought some relief to her. Still, though she worried about the fact she was not aware of the hobbit’s coordinates. “They’re trying to head him off at the pass!” Lenia cried, looking over her shoulder at those below.

“Aragorn go!” Legolas told him, knocking down a few Uruk-hai himself with his arrows. Without having to be persuaded further Aragorn ran to stop the enemy from catching up to Frodo. How long could he hold them off by himself? She wondered. As she jumped from the platform she realized she had not been the only one to think of him. “Are you alright?” Legolas asked her on a passing. Softly Lenia chuckled, running ahead of him and looking over her shoulder for a split second. “You’re aims a bit off!” Reloading he shook his head, she was alright.

The sound of a horn made Lenia stop dead in her tracks, eyes widen a bit. “The horn of Gondor.” Legolas explained and Aragorn dashed forward, “Boromir.” By the time Aragorn had reached where Lenia had been standing she had cleared her way down the hill. Though she was less experienced than he was she was quicker on her feet and more agile because of her roots. She turned her head to look at him but he waved his sword at her. Keep going. A sharp pain struck her upper arm but she paid no attention to it. They arrived where Boromir was at nearly the same time, only Lenia a bit more. She froze, what she saw happening flashing before her eyes moments before it really happened. Her hands clenched to fists, eyes squeezed shut – if she could have she would have screamed. Not again.

Breathing in shaky breathes she turned to look over at her mentor. While Aragorn battled with the Uruk-hai she ran to Boromir’s side. “Boromir?” Lenia whispered falling down beside him. By some grace of the Gods he was still on two knees, gasping for breath that never seemed to come. Her hand reached out, to touch his shoulder, slowly helping him to the ground. His eyes met hers and she felt a chill run through her at the life-less look they held. “Lady Masydi?” He whispered back finally. Slowly Lenia nodded, swallowing hard. Boromir may not have been her favorite man, by any means, but never in her deepest thoughts had she wished this upon him. Softly he smiled, “I’m sorry,” He met her eyes once more and locked on them, for some strange reason Lenia could not look away.

S-sorry?” Her voice cracked as her hand shook. She was thankful it was still on his shoulder for it had a steady support there. “Whatever are you sorry for?” She asked, be it any other moment she could have thought of loads of things for him to apologize for but now, it all seemed to be a blur.

“You flatter me.” He retorted, breathing in a painful breath. “I have a million things to apologize for…some that I have down myself and others…” Boromir paused looking up at her, “Others are wrongs my father has committed…I know that nothing can ever ease what has happened to your home, to your people or to your brother…however,” He looked at her, “I understand how you feel now, more than ever.”

Tears rimmed Lenia’s eyes and she took in a deep breath in attempt to steady herself. “You’re going to be okay.” She whispered to him, wrapping one of her hands around his and squeezing it. With the other she attempted to grow the herbs she knew she needed. Nothing. Her hands trembled, with anger or sadness she did not know. Feeling useless she ducked her head, collecting herself before looking at Boromir – who had never stopped looking at her. “You’re a good man, Boromir, both you and your brother…I would gladly fight beside you two any day in any war.” Her lip trembled, how much more she could take of sitting there, staring at a dying man she didn’t know.

“Do you think he’ll make it?” He asked her, “Frodo? Do you think he’ll end it all.”

“He has to,” She whispered, “otherwise all we love will die.” The words she spoke tasted bitter in her mouth. “You’re kingdom shall see brighter days, Steward of Gondor, I promise you that.” The next words she spoke shocked her even more, “I was not granted the name I was to sit around and just watch all that I love fall to ruin. My name is Lenia…Masydi…and not on your life will I go quietly while Sauron’s darkness tries to swallow us. They’ll have to destroy my spirit and slay me before I allow them to destroy anything else I or anyone else loves.” Softly she squeezed his hands. “I will not let Gondor fall to ruin, none of us will.”

His hand, though weak, squeezed hers as well, “Rhamdal will not fall either.” It wasn’t until then, when she really looked at him, that she noticed how pale he was. Until then she hadn’t noticed the paleness of his skin, or the blood now dripping from his lips. She reached a shaking hand up to clean it, silently cursing herself. Afterward she slid her hand beneath his neck, rubbing it softly.

Aragorn’s running footsteps caught her ear and she backed off, releasing Boromir’s hand and stepping aside. Her mentor fell beside Boromir, in the exact spot she had been. “They took the little ones.” Boromir told Aragorn the one bit of information he had not told her. More still her hands shook, her knees became like jello.

“Hold still.” Aragorn told Boromir as he tried to assess the damage. “I tried, Strider, I-” Lenia stopped, looking away as Aragorn looked at her. Her hands balled into fists. Casting her a strange look Aragorn turned back to Boromir. “Frodo, where is Frodo?” Boromir inquired voice full of panic. Lenia looked back at the two men, watching their conversation carefully. Making a decision she wasn’t even sure why she was making she made her way over to Boromir and sat by his head, placing her hands on either side.

“I let Frodo go.” Aragorn whispered softly.

“Then you did what I could not.” Boromir told him, “I tried to take the Ring from him.” He looked from Aragorn, to Lenia and back.

“The Ring is beyond our reach now.”

“Forgive me.” The dying man whispered to her mentor, “I did not see it. I have failed you all.”

“No, Boromir.” Now it was both ranger’s protesting. “You fought bravely.” Aragorn took over, you have kept your honor.” Slowly, not moving his eyes from the dying man’s face he moved his hand to the arrows. Aragorn’s intentions were to rid him of them but Boromir yanked him back.

“Leave it.” He demanded, “It is over, the world of Men will fall. And all will come to darkness…and my city to ruin.” As Lenia took an unsteady breath, watching Boromir panic over the fate of his people it made her heart burn. They, like she and Frodo, had a common like; a dying home and a dying people.

“I do not know what strength is in my blood...but I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall…nor our people fail.”

“Our people.” Boromir gasped for a rugged breath, “Our people.” His hand out stretched to for his sword; he had given in to his chosen fate. Gingerly Aragorn picked up the sword and handed it to him, placing it in his hand. Boromir clenched it and placed his arm across his chest. “I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my King.” As Boromir took his last breath and the light of life left his eyes Lenia gasped for breath, raising only one hand to her face to muffle the sound. Aragorn bowed his head and whispered a silent prayer, “Be at peace…son of Gondor.” He leaned up and kissed Boromir’s forehead. “They will look for his coming at the White Tower, but he will not return.” He stood, wiping the stray tears from his cheek to look down at his apprentice. She was staring down at the lifeless man, sobs wrecking her body and her hands trembling.

“Lenia…” He whispered, outstretching his arm for her to take. From what he could tell she was paralyzed, perhaps reliving the deaths she witnessed up until now in her mind or maybe over coming with emotion in general. However, she did not take his hand instead she shook her head, putting her forehead to Boromir’s and allowing her tears to fall upon his cold, white skin. Her hands balled into fists. “Lenia.” Aragorn whispered once more and this time she looked up at him with red eyes, “He’s at peace.”

At peace? She wanted to yell at him she just wanted to let all the anger she had inside overflow but she didn’t, not quite yet. 'How could any of them trully be at peace, ever?' She just looked up at her mentor with lethal eyes. “You don’t understand,” She hissed, forcing herself to her feet. It was not until then that she notice the wounds she head, including an arrow stuck into her bicep muscle. Her eyes glanced to it and her hand ripped it out, the pain killed but it felt good compared to the fire within her. Pushing past Aragorn she headed towards the shore, not even paying attention to Gimli or Legolas’ presence.

“Lenia?” This time it was Legolas, she could only imagine that he had followed her.

“I don’t want to talk.” She spoke curtly, pushing her way through the dense brush with her burning arm. “Just leave me be, Legolas, alright? Just leave me alone.” On her heel she turned to look at him, a defeated look in her eyes, “I don’t want to talk, if anything I want to fight – so for the sake of our relationship, Legolas. Leave me alone.”

“Then at least talk to, Aragorn, at least you two know each other well enough.” Legolas looked at her, “and something is obviously bothering you…”

“He sent you did he?” She snapped, “To scout me out, to make sure that I was alright?”

“Shadow, I would do nothing of the sort.” To her other side appeared Aragorn. “Leave us be, Legolas.” He said, “We’ll be back shortly.” Legolas looked between the two eyes settling on Lenia for a moment or two before turning and leaving them. Aragorn settled down on a rock, rolling up his sleeves. “Care to talk?”

“God, Aragorn, you and I are both pissed .”

“I’m upset.” He corrected, “You on the contrary,” He glanced up at her with his smoky eyes, “something has you wound up tighter than I’ve ever seen you and to be truthful it worries me.”

Lenia knelt down by the water, grabbing a large rock and chucking it across to the other embankment. “I saw it again, Aragorn. That makes, what, three deaths I could have stopped?" She turned to look at him, “But I didn’t, Aragorn. I have this damned name my parents gave me…this stupid so called fate, and I can’t even stop one of my visions from happening!” Shaking once more she walked towards him, picking up a stick. “All Tripton wanted me to do was make fire, Aragorn….if I had made fire he…” Her eyes watered dangerously. “And just now…with Boromir…I could’ve saved him, Aragorn – I know the herb…I can create it….but I couldn’t. For some unknown reason I couldn’t, Aragorn!” She cried, breaking the stick. “What am I supposed to be? Happy? My homes only hope is dead and I just promised a dying man I wouldn’t let Sauron win.” Her mentor was about to speak when she fell to the ground, utter exhaustion taking over. “He was sick, Aragorn.” Clouded blue eyes rose to meet the face of her mentor, “Tripton was so sick…he wouldn’t let anyone notice but…I could see it, in his eyes and the way his hands shook.” She held out her hands to examine her own, watching the way they trembled. Aragorn watched her, a solemn look in his own eyes when he thought of his friend. “He was so fevery and clammy, though he’d never show it….and so…so exhausted. None of the others knew it – not even mom and dad.”

Aragorn frowned, standing up and walking over to her, standing over her. “But the medicine…?”

What medicine?” Lenia retorted without enthusiasm, from her belt she unhooked the pouch it rested in. “This?” She held the bag out to him. “This is all that’s left in my entire kingdom, Aragorn. Not even the hospital’s have anymore…nor my parents…and half of that…half of that is what Tripton gave me of his. He forced me to take it…I didn’t know at the time…When we left to come after you they gave us all that was left in the kingdom.” She stared absently ahead. “without that, Aragorn…between the poison in our water and food and Sauron’s magic…without Tripton there to be the gallant warrior to brave the dangers and bring back safe water and food….they’re dead.” Once more she looked at her mentor with worn eyes, “Do you see how I feel, Aragorn? I know what has to be done….but I’m too much of a coward to do so and not even my powers will work for me." Her mind raced as she looked to the side, the thought of being cowardly did not appeal to her anymore. "I’m not going to run off and cry in a corner every time something goes wrong, Aragorn…I can’t anymore.”

Aragorn eyed the pouch she had just waved in the air, “How much is left?” He asked, “How many months?” Lenia was silent, “If I were to take it everyday? About two months worth. If I only take it when I absolutely need it…I don’t know.” She raised her eyes to meet his and stood.

“And when it’s gone?”

“I try not to think about that.” There was a pause where the two stared at each other. “Aragorn, I don’t want to be treated differently, alright? I know you worry about me, that you feel you have to be Tripton, to fill his shoes, and I know that sometimes…I just loose it…but we are all having our problems right now and I just want to be treated like the rest of them. Alright?”

“You don’t know how hard that is,” Aragorn told her, resting his hand on her shoulder. “You aren’t like the rest of them. You’re different in so many ways….so many special ways. Like earlier…with Boromir. Who else could have reconciled with him but you?”

Softly Lenia smiled, placing her good arm on his shoulder, rubbing his neck with her hand. That was one question she did know the answer to, “You, King Elessar.”

They put Boromir in one the boats and sent him over the edge of the waterfall. It was the best they could give him of a proper send off. “Hurry, Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore!” Legolas rushed down to the boat that was left, only to turn back to look at Aragorn when he was given no response. “You mean not to follow them?” He inquired, though it was more of a statement.

“Frodo’s fate,” Aragorn breathed, staring out at the opposite shore, “Is no longer in our hands.”

“Then it has all been in vain. The fellowship has failed.” Gimli spoke, walking over to them. The three standing, Lenia, Legolas and Gimli, crowded around Aragorn who was the only one still seated. He looked thoughtful for a moment and then stood, walking over and standing before them. “Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death.” He looked at the three before him, placing his hands upon their shoulders. “Not while we have strength left." Softly he smiled, meeting eyes with each of the, lingering on his apprentices' for a few moments. "Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light.” He looked at them, slipping his dagger back into it’s case. “Let us hunt some Orc.”

A soft smile grazed Lenia’s lips, a look of mischief filled her eyes. “You heard the man.” She told the two beside her. “Let’s get moving – we have some Orc to hunt.” She grinned, the look reflecting that of her mentor and followed him up the embankment.

“You’re the only girl I’ve ever known who finds the mere thought of hunting Orc enjoyable.” Legolas informed her, quickening his pace to meet hers. Shrugging lightly Lenia looked at him, “Well, I’m also the only girl that has ever challenged you at bow and arrow shooting, and that has ever dared you to wear a necklace so then, I guess this should be of no surprise to you.” With that she grinned and continued to walk away, after her mentor.

“Hey you!” Legolas reached his hand out and took hold of her good arm. Giving a small surprised gasp Lenia pulled back towards the woodland Prince. Her eyelashes fluttered in shock. “Yes?” She asked, looking up at him.

The elder man put his fingers between her own, fitting her small hand in his like a puzzle piece. “I don’t know what’s been bothering you, or what’s wrong….or what is has to do with you…but you know that you can tell me, right? If you need to talk about anything, you can tell me, you know that right?” Softly Lenia smiled, “If I say no will you keep me here longer?” She whispered playfully. Deeply he sighed, “This wasn’t meant to be a playful moment, Lenia.” He teased, placing his forehead to hers.

“Oh, sorry,” She said, though she wasn’t really that sorry at all. “and just so you know, Legolas, I know I can trust you with anything. This…this is just something I think is best for you to not know, because if you knew it you’d worry excessively like Aragorn does, over something neither of you have any control over. This way I’m just saving you, see?” She smiled in her best attempt to sugar coat the situation.

“That doesn’t ease a lovers mind at all.” He sighed deeply and kissed her forehead, “But it is better than nothing I suppose.” Pulling back he ran his fingers down her hurt arm, watching the way she wince when he traced the area where the arrow had struck her. “Why don’t you sit down,” He suggested, “I can take care of that for you.”

“Oh?” She said in an impressed tone, “My, my, my, well now, Prince Greenleaf, you’re going to tend to my wounds? This doesn’t bring back memories at all.” Her tone was once more playful and light, though laced with sarcasm. “What are you going to do now? Are you going to monitor me every second and force me to lie down and-” Her sentence was interrupted but his lips capturing hers. “Just sit down already” He whispered. "Or I'll find a way to get, Aragorn on your case."

Sighing deeply Lenia sat on a rock. "You know, if he doesn't realize something's going on between us very soon, with you keeping doing that, he's the blindest man I've ever seen." Even though she made her best attempt to sound angry at him a small smile was on her face. She really didn't want him to stop.

Kneeling beside her Legolas took a piece of cloth from his bag and a bit of water from his belt. Wetting the cloth he cleaned the wound and then wrapped it to help stop the bleeding and prevent infection. Softly he smiled looking up at her and putting his things away. A mischevious look sparkled in his eyes, not one that you would expect to see, as he stood. "What thing?"

3 comments:

KeliaMegan said...

*dies of happiness* It's amazing Katie!!!!! Everything that's going on with Lenia, and how she handles it, and loses it, and Legolas.... *sigh* :D :D They're so sweet together... and you do the orc attack and Boromir dying perfectly.... :D :D :D

Miss Katie said...

Aw thanks :] I re-read it a few times to edit it as much as I possibly could. Even after that though I see some things that have managed to slip pass my eye. [Typos...wrong words...etc...] Oh well...nothing can be perfect.

I have fun with Lenia's mood swings, though I try to make it as realistic as possible with how she has them. She keeps her emotions so bottled up that something happens and she erupts, just like a volcano. [She mildly exhibits this behavior when she blows up at Aragorn after Boromir's death] I suppose, though, if I was going through all she was...I might be a complete wreck as well.

Originally the ending was at Legolas' line “Just sit down already”. However, something just didn't seem right. So, of course I had to keep writing...in which the ending line ended up being "What *thing*" I have to admit I like that ending better than the original end of the chapter.

Her and Legolas make me laugh, they're so opposite but so alike. I love their relationship <33 I also love her relationship with Aragorn. She's like the annoying little sister that won't let him forget how great he is, and occasionally blow up at him, and he's the older brother who is keeping her in line.

Haha. Thanks Kelia. The Orc attack took forever to figure out. Typically I lamely skip over fight scenes because I'm not really sure how to describe them. I knew I couldn't do that in here because in Lord of the Rings fighting happens so much lol. After some hard thought, out spilled what we have. Boromir's death took an equal amount of time, I could have just had the normal Aragorn and Boromir scene but I want Lenia to reconcile with him. It took some time to meld the two together believeably. All-in-all I'm happy with how his death came out. :]

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kelia! It's been sitting around for awhile begging to be finnished and Saturday night...I obeyed.

Hopefully we'll get something of yours soon! ;]

Lylas,

Katie ♥

jaimie said...

that's really cool! i need to start reading more LotR fan fics, i've read the book WAY too many times! (or not enough...)
i had started reading your other blog, Fate or Destiny, and I was kinda disappointed to see that you haven't written anything for it in a long time. that one's really cool, too.
i'm a LotR freak, if you can't tell. and now you've inspired me to set up my own RP journal/blog thingy.
anyway i thought i'd tell you how cool i think ur fan fics are!