Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Strangest Thing...

So, I was sitting here, commenting on KrazyK's last post and decided to post something. Okay, so it was Lauren that got me thinking about it as we were talking about plots today. The Writing Endeavor program I am involved with has tasks for you to do every month (I don't think I even have done another this month, I've just kind of been hanging) and word-count goals for you to "achieve". Well, back in January I posted something for them so I figured I might as well do the same for you...it's nothing special but, this is the introduction I wrote:

My January task is lacking in WC, however, I'm fairly pleased with it's outcome nevertheless. I went through and picked out a part from it for you guys to read. [It's actually the begining of Chapter Two which is why it starts off kind of strange.] To give you a summary the main character [Alexandria] is a minor character in a series I am writing and she has been nagging me for a long time to do her story. When January's task came about she made me grab my pen and get to work because I had no other excuse. The story takes place in a completely different section of the universe with planets and strange technology...the "works". Alexandria is a different kind of girl living in a family who doesn't quite understand her, in a "world" that is about to come into major problems thanks to her two younger brothers.

Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things changed as Alexandria grew, for the better or for the worst she wasn’t sure. By the time she was sixteen she had two younger, twin brothers that seemed destined to make her life a living terror even though they weren’t even a year-old yet. In a way to find some sort of outlit for her, her parents dropped her into the military – something that fit her personality perfectly. For the most part when Alexandria was home she locked herself in her room, blasting music or doing something similar. However, at the base she roomed with Shelton and Kalani, who had the unfortunate task of being her Lords. This program was used to make the bond between "apprentice and master" closer. Alexandria, however, wasn’t the type of child to easily bond with someone, even if they were her Lord or not. Needless to say neither home felt like a home to her but at least at one she had her own room with a lock on it.

“I’m going to the barn.” She spoke curtly to her parents, grabbing her pack and walking out the door. Had it been six months since she’d last been home? She could hardly remember but all that mattered was that it had been too long since she’d last seen her horse. His name was Amir; Prince. He was a stunning stallion with a finely chiseled bone structure, arched neck and black, high-carried tail. His coat was a dark bay; his face brightened by a white stripe and his eyes dark amber. Even as Alexandria stood on the top of the hill, overlooking the pasture full of horses below she could pick Amir out for he stood with such a regal stance. His head tossed back, mane and tail whipping in the warm breeze as he made his way towards the gate as if he sensed her impending presence.

Upon arriving at the wooden fence Alexandria wrapped her small, slender fingers around the large wooden pegs. Leaning over the rail she placed her foot on the bottom rung to give her height. Her green eyes surveyed the mass of horses, watching as they melded into a melting pot of different colors. As she leaned forward more, cutting into the direction of the wind, her tied back hair which was now a complete sheet of purple shades, whipped around her face and neck.

“Enjoying what you see?”

An unfamiliar male voice caused Alexandria to gasp as if she had been stabbed in the back. Immediately her head turned and her green eyes formed wide circles. Never before had anyone been able to sneak up on her, and never before had she expected anyone to. Now a man who could be no more than eighteen was staring at her, pitch fork stuck into the ground with his arms folded across it. “Who are you?” She demanded, voice struggling to stay in one pitch zone.

The man chuckled, straight black bangs sweeping across his forehead as he ducked his head. From beneath his locks he gazed at her with murky-blue eyes, framed by long black lashes. “Well, isn’t it obvious, M’lady?” He used his arm no longer leaning on his pitch-fork to gesture to himself. “I am your royal stable boy, lover of equines.”

“Well,” Alexandria leaned on the fence, watching the man with one of her purple brows raised. “I wasn’t going to say anything but you do look like you have been playing in horse poop all day.”

“Maybe that’s because I have.”

Both Alexandria and the young man smirked at his comment, neither speaking for a few moments. “Amir’s missed you for quite a long time.” He finally stated.

Oh?” Alexandria responded in an inquiring manor, “He did, did he?” A small smirk played her lips once more and her brow arched. “Did my loyal steed tell you this?”

The man chuckled whole-heartedly. “He did, actually.” There was a moments paused before he picked up the pitch fork from the ground and walked towards her. “It was blatantly obvious,” He informed her, “His spirit was broken.” He glanced out of the corner of his eyes at the beautiful young Princess, “I can’t blame him, I would feel the same way if I were him.”

The realization of what the stable boy said caused her cheeks to burn and her lashes to flutter uncontrollably. To recover she leaned over the fence’s top rung once more, feet firmly placed on the bottom one. Most importantly her face was not pointed towards the captivating flirt beside of her. “Oh?” She spoke trying not to show much interest. “And why is that, are you suggesting that I should refer to you as my horse from now on?”

Softly the man grinned, “Well, I smell like one ninety-five percent of the time…so I’m already half-way there.” He leaned his elbow on the fence’s top rung so that he could see the contours of Alexandria’s face. “However, I’d prefer it if you referred to me as Declan.”

“Declan?” She mused, “That’s a new one. Where are you from?”

“Here, your planet, of course. Why? Do you have a grudge or something against D names that my parents weren’t aware of when they named me?”

Taking advantage at the open opportunity Alexandria smirked mischeviously, “Possibly.” She told the man, allowing her voice to carry the mischief her smirk suggested.

“Oh, my…" Declan uttered, sighing dramatically and shaking his head, "I guess I’m in trouble then.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, it wasn't long and it needs some work but it's something....And after this, the story decided I needed to temporarily put it down and work on other things *cough* Annora's Story *cough*. The name "Declan" isn't my favorite but it is much better than "Dean" which it was before.

Katie-bo-baity

4 comments:

KeliaMegan said...

Very nice :D Declan sounds like he'll be quite the troublemaker. :P

Miss Katie said...

Hahahaha. Yeessss, he will. ^_^

LiterallyLauren said...

Declan sounds cute... <<'

Like. Can I have him, too? ;D

Miss Katie said...

Sure, Lauren. :P Have at it ;)