Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My turn!!!!

So, obviously, this is my nanowrimo. I told you all the plot before, but I probably should tell you what happened before this. So Ember found out she's a fairy, went to fairy world and was trained, and found out that there were part fairies living in third world in extreme danger cause everyone wanted to kill them. So she found the gate and went there, rescueing Taran and people, then went a second time rescuing more. This happens about then, when she just got back to fairy world.

It was sometime in the middle of the night when I heard a sound near my room. I forced open my eyes and listened carefully, yes there was someone walking by. Who would be up at this time? I shook my brain awake and tiptoed to the door, looking out. There was someone going in the room next to mine, it looked like the man who hadn’t smiled. What was he doing?
“Hello?” I called out, and he paused. “What are you doing?”
“I just remembered,” he said. “I left something back in the other world and I really need it.”
“Well you’ll land in the city next to Hertun,” I said, rubbing sleep from my eyes. “I’d better go with you. Can you wait a minute?”
“Oh no you don’t need to…” he trailed off as he thought it over. “All right, you can come.” I went back in my room and got dressed, then joined him in the hall.
“What did you leave behind?” I wondered as we walked in the marshy room.
“A picture of my parents,” he said shortly, and I didn’t ask further questions. I touched the drawing and we were off to the third world. As soon as we got there, I transported us to the head quarters in Hertun.
“The head quarters are one room, with a tall open ceiling, in the city of Hertun. There are beds all along one side, and on the other there’s a big table and rickety chairs. The walls are unpainted and the building is almost falling down.” I opened my eyes to see the head quarters, and the man exclaimed,
“Oh, I forgot! Its not here, its out in the street.” I followed him out and through the streets, weaving around in the back streets until we reached a bigger one.
“Shouldn’t we stay in the shadows, so the guards won’t see us?” I asked as he stepped forward.
“I doubt there would be any guards around at midnight,” he said and hit me over the head.

I regained consciousness in a very uncomfortable position, I was being dragged along the cobbled streets by my tied hands. The man had hold of them, grunting with the effort as I bounced over the rocks and stones.
“Ow!” I cried out as I hit a sharp one, and the man stopped. Quick as a flash he had a gag over my mouth, and I stared up at him in surprise. What had happened? He jerked me to my feet and pushed me in front of him, I stumbled dazedly and started to walk.
I had come with him to the third world in the middle of the night-- very bad idea, my now fully awake brain told me, a bit too late-- to get something he forgot. Why had I believed him? The part fairies here didn’t own anything! Then when we got to Hertun he hit me over the head
and now was dragging me somewhere. What could I do? He had me gagged so I couldn’t transport myself elsewhere, annoying as it was that was all it took to disable me. Panic rose in my throat as I thought over the situation, I could do nothing, I didn’t know where he was taking me, and no one knew I was gone. What a fool I had been to go with him in the
first place!
I was interrupted from my distressed thoughts by the man stopping. We were in what I thought by the dim light was a slightly better part of the city, and he was unlocking a door. He pushed me inside and down a flight of steps, the house looked like a regular house so I was
surprised to see shackles on the wall of the cellar and grated bars forming a cage. It was a dungeon. He pushed me inside and locked the door, then turned at a sound.
“Who do you have there?” A shadow detached himself from the wall and stepped forward. I could make out a man in a dark cloak, but there wasn’t enough light to tell anything else.
“This is the ringleader,” the man who I thought was part fairy said proudly. “She may cause trouble but she sure isn’t smart. She didn’t have any idea what I was doing.”
“The ringleader of what? Why didn’t you report to me yesterday?” The voice was still devoid of all emotion.
“I couldn’t! I was in--” his voice dropped mysteriously. “Another world.”
“You aren’t the kind to lie,” the dark man said. “Explain yourself.”
“Its true! You know how all the people from the city just over disappeared two days ago? Well this one was spiriting all them away to fairy world. That’s why they all have powers! They’re part fairy.”
“And the group you were in are now in fairy world too?” the other man asked.
“Yes. I came back to report to you, and caught her on the way.” he grinned wickedly. “I thought you’d be pleased.”
“I am,” the other man moved forward to inspect me, I felt caught in his gaze like a moth on a board. “And if you are lying about all this, you know you will suffer.”
“I’m not lying!” the definitely not part fairy man protested. “I can show you the proof! They got a book from some library that says it all.”
“I remember reading that legend sometime,” the man said thoughtfully. “I thought it was nonsense. Are the part fairies powerful?” he asked.
“Sure are. This one transported me from the city over to here in the blink of an eye. That’s why I have her gagged, so she wont transport herself away.”
“That may be a problem,” he paused to think, and his voice grew. “We’ll need everyone in Fairy World back, of course. This gives us just the opportunity we need, now we can get the government to help us--” he broke off and glanced my way. “She may not be as stupid as we think,” he said and beckoned for the other man to follow. They went up the stairs
and I could hear the low murmur of their voices all the way. Then the sound was gone and I was all alone in my fear and dismay. What had they meant by everything? What had I set into action?

I hurled myself at the bars. I know, it was really immature and silly because it couldn’t possibly help anything, but I did it anyways. I wasn’t angry often so I wasn’t used to the feeling, a hot lava like substance bubbling up in my stomach and threatening to drown me. I
didn’t like it.
After being alone for hours upon hours, probably six hours of berating myself and delving into despair, my anguish turned to anger. Who were these people anyways? Did they think they could lock innocent people up and get away with it? And what did they mean by they needed everyone in fairy world back? And now they could get the governments help-- were they planning some kind of invasion or something?
I drew in a sharp breath and sunk to the floor. Were they planning an invasion? Why had the man been spying in the group anyways? Were they planning to recruit them? That would explain why the other man had said they would need all the part fairies back. But why would they?
My life felt like a blank page, except for question marks. First I hadn’t known if the government was keeping the part fairies separate on purpose, now I didn’t know if the people who imprisoned me wanted to recruit the part fairies and invade fairy land, with the governments help. But I knew something for certain. I had to find out.
I stopped my frantic hurling at the bars for good, and instead inspected the jail closely. The iron was rusted but strong, with my hands tied behind my back I couldn’t reach the lock to pick it. I obviously couldn’t transport myself elsewhere, or say a spell. So what was left? With some divine inspiration or genius hidden in me, I looked up.
There, just a few feet away from the jail wall near a corner, was an air duct. My first thought was that I could climb up into it, but that was quickly ruled out as I saw that the barred iron wall went all the way up and into the stone ceiling. Would it be like all those books where the
heroine overheard the evil plot through the air duct? I’d have to find out.
For a few more moments I stood surveying the jail wall. It was made of iron, that formed squares about as big as my two hands put together. It would be very easy to climb except that my hands were tied. How would I
do it? Experimentally I tried climbing it the regular way, using an elbow instead of a hand, but I couldn’t even get started. My balance was all off and I couldn’t support myself. So there was only one way to climb it-- and that was backwards.
I turned around and grasped an iron bar with my hands, then lifted my foot and stuck the heel in a square. Here came the test to see if this crazy idea would work. Slowly I lifted my other foot, teetering between falling forwards and staying where I was, and put the heel in a square.
I was still leaning forwards, my hands already burned from the effort, but I was up here. With strength and balance and a lot of luck, I could do it.
The climb up was excruciatingly hard. Once I was all balanced I had to lift my hands higher up, only taking one off at a time so I wouldn’t fall forward. Since they were tied together they couldn’t lift up by themselves very far, so my progress was slower than a snails. I hated that sickening feeling of swaying, whenever I was supported only by one hand the world below me swirled. It didn’t help that I was facing forward, only by closing my eyes would I not see how far up I was and how far I would fall.
Finally I reached the top, my head brushing against the stone ceiling. Now I would find out if my whole climb had been in vain. I couldn’t see the air duct but I listened attentively to the silence, the way the rusted iron creaked under my weight, the way stone shifted underground.
But I could hear no voices. With each passing second of silence, my hopes sank. So it wouldn’t turn out like a book after all. What was I going to do now?
I’d have to climb down now, I thought numbly. My whole terrifying climb up had been for nothing, after all. I just wanted to close my eyes and give up, I didn’t want to face the climb down looking at the hard ground. I didn’t want to face my climb down at all.
There was a noise from the stairway and I started, nearly losing my
balance. The bars moaned and I leaned back into them with all my might. At last the horrible rocking stopped, and I was very still. I couldn’t see the stairs, but I could hear someone coming down them.
“I know you’re there,” It was the spy, probably looking into the cell. “Somewhere. Don’t worry, we’re not going to hurt you. I just want to take you upstairs, so my master can ask you a few questions. That’s all.” He paused, a frown creasing his forehead as he searched the shadows. “Where are you?” He didn’t look up, thankfully. I was just a dark shape near the corner, too far above to catch his attention. “Come out now.” His tone was no longer playful, it was stern and worried. “Come out now!” He paused, then pounded up the stairs. “She’s gone!” He yelled to the other man. “She’s not there!”
The other man came down with him, slowly and calmly. He inspected the jail, and when he saw I was not in it he was not confused or astonished, he was angry. He took the keys and threw open the door, stepping through every shadow and searching every corner. “She’s gone.” he announced when he was done, his eyes smoldering but his voice quiet. “Come. We must
search for her, she has heard too much already.” With that he strode out of the room, the spy following behind him. I waited until the door of the building was slammed shut and their footsteps receded into silence, then I gave a long shuddering sigh.
They had left the jail door open.

Aaaaah I'm just going to stop fixing it. Whatever.

Slowly, cautiously, knowing my freedom would be worth nothing if I had a
broken leg, I made my way down the wall. It was just as frightening as I
had feared, because this time I did not keep my gaze fixed in front of
me. I kept it on the open door. There were moments where I was sure I
was going to die, I was sure my whole life had been for nothing. But
before I knew it I was down. It was over. I took a deep breath and
walked out the open door.
Once I was out of the jail, I looked for something sharp. Hopefully I
could rub it against the tie around my hands, so then I could take off
my gag. I found exactly what I needed in the kitchen, a long knife. It
was sharp but not too sharp, so I wouldn’t cut my hands through it. It
was harder then it sounded to cut your way out of a rope, especially
since my hands were behind me and I had never done it before. But that
was nothing compared to what I had just done. Finally I got the knife at
the right angle and started sawing away, and then my hands were free. I
quickly unknotted the gag, I could just transport myself out of there
right then, but I wanted proof that the man wanted to attack fairy world.
So I ran up the stairs, I soon found the mans office. It was
meticulously clean but the drawers of his desk were unlocked as he
hadn’t known he was leaving right then. I flipped through the papers,
there was a list of men who I assumed were loyal to the one in charge,
and a lot others that I didn’t need. Finally I found the one that would
be the most use to me, a letter the man had almost finished in the time
that I was imprisoned. It read,
‘To the royal King of this land,
This is your faithful servant Retinus. I know you have had some trouble
in the past with me, trying to take over the world and all’ I paused for
a moment to think. Had the man, Retinus, originally wanted to recruit
the part fairies to help him take over the world? ‘but I have changed.
Now I only wish to help my country.’ Yeah right. ‘Through certain
sources, I have come to the knowledge that there is another world. This
may ring a bell, as five thousand years ago someone discovered the same
thing. Fairy World. But the last time, the ruler of the land foolishly
formed friendships and allowed citizens to travel there. You probably
know the rest and so I will simply say that our world has had no love of
magic since. So when I came upon this news, that there is a portal that
other evil fairies could travel through, there was only one course of
action that occurred to me. War. We must unite our whole world and go to
war with fairy world, to ensure that no evil fairies will rampage our
world again.
Your faithful servant,’
Then it didn’t have the signature, which was the only part missing. This
letter proved all my thoughts and suspicions, I had to show it to Ylaii
and Gerido as soon as possible. Who knows what the King of the land was
like, if he believed that all fairies were evil like that one five
thousand years ago, we would be in for trouble.
I tucked the letter in my pocket and closed the door, sighing and
closing my eyes as I did so. Yes, it had been very foolish of me to come
here with the spy, but I had found out things of utter importance. I had
to get back now, before Taran and Ylaii started worrying. I said the
words, “It’s a narrow alleyway, in the city next to this one. The bricks
are caked in mud but there’s one place where its been scraped clean.
Along the wall there is a drawing of a tall gate made of stone,
overgrown with roses. The lines seem to beckon, and you reach forward.
As you touch the rough brick you suddenly fall forward into darkne--”
and was on my way.

I arrived in the marsh/ room, and was overcome with a dreadful
weariness. I had woken up in the middle of the night only to be hit over
the head, then spent five or so hours in jail and then climbed up the
wall. No wonder I was a bit tired.
“Is anyone there?” I called down the hall. I didn’t see anyone, but
suddenly Taran poked his head around the bend.
“Ember?” he said, surprised. “What are you doing in that room?”
“Long story,” I sighed. “Can you please get Ylaii and Gerido?” he must
have sensed my urgency, because he ran off and was back in a flash with
Ylaii, Gerido, and Enlil.
“Ember what’s wrong?” Ylaii asked as soon as she saw me. A pounding
headache was beginning at my temples, so instead of speaking I simply
drew out the letter. Ylaii and Gerido read it in silence and then looked
up, faces aghast.
“How did you get this?” Gerido asked solemnly.
“I woke up in the middle of the night,” I explained tiredly. “A part
fairy was about to go through the gate, he said he’d forgotten
something. I was still asleep and offered to go with him to transport
him to Hertun where he’d need to go. As soon as we were there he hit me
over the head and dragged me to a building where he threw me in jail.”
Everyone’s eyes were wide as I told them, my voice was too tired to have
much emotion in it but everyone around suffered for me.
“He gagged me so I couldn’t transport my self out. There he told another
man about Fairy World, and he said they would need everyone in Fairy
World back, now they could get the governments help. Then they left for
about five hours, and towards the end of that I noticed an air duct a
little ways away from the jail. So I climbed the wall which was iron
bars to see if I could overhear them through it, but I couldn’t. It was
a good thing I was up there, though, because just then they came down to
interrogate me. They didn’t notice me up there, and thought I had
escaped so they went away to search for me, leaving the jail door open.”
I smiled briefly, I was thankful for their stupidity right then. “I got
out and got my hands untied with a knife, then took off my gag. Then I
searched the building, and found that letter.” I nodded towards
Retinus’s letter in Ylaii’s hands. “Then I came home.”
“You poor thing,” Ylaii took me by the arm and led me gently to my room.
“You’re tired, aren’t you?” I nodded, a hand pressed to my throbbing
head. “Well then, we wont bother you,” she gave Gerido a look and pushed
me into sitting position on my bed. “Have a rest, then you can come join
us.” the door clicked shut softly and I fell into the oblivion of sleep.

As soon as she was out of Ember’s room, Ylaii strode briskly to the
cafeteria. “We’ll need everyone assembled,” she called over her
shoulder. “For an emergency, emergency meeting.” Taran ran to catch up
with Ylaii as the rest of them dispersed to gather everyone they could.
“Is Ember all right?” he asked worriedly.
“She’ll be fine,” Ylaii said. “With a bit of sleep. I’m more worried
about our safety here. Now that those men in third world know about the
gate, we could have another war on our hands.” People were already
running into the cafeteria, looking around with alarm.
“What’s going on?” Cardill asked as she saw Ylaii. “What’s wrong?”
“We’ll wait until everyone’s here,” Ylaii said grimly. “But in the
meantime, you can read this.” she threw the letter on a table, Taran
Cardill and Kip gathered around to read it. “That man, Retinus,” she
hissed his name, “Also mentioned needing all the part fairies here back.
It appears he has a fascination with taking over worlds, he’s tried with
his and now wants to take over ours.”
Taran looked up in alarm. “Would the King really do that?” He asked.
“Try to take over fairy world because one fairy was bad five thousand
years ago?”
“That’s what we don’t know,” Ylaii said. “Hopefully not. I don’t think
Retinus would be fool enough to try to take over it on his own, all of
us here can do magic and he cant.” She lapsed into silence, hoping. Yes,
everyone in Fairy World did have magic. But if he took back all the part
fairies who originally lived in third world like he said he would, and
then attacked them before they had time to tell regular Fairy World
everything, they would be doomed. She just hoped it wouldn’t come to that.
The room was filling with part fairies, some with green hair some with
brown. They all looked worried and alarmed, and waited for Ylaii to
speak. When she saw Gerido slip in the back with the last of them she
started. “Fellow part fairies,” she said gravely, “You all know of Ember
and her quest to help the part fairies in third world. Well this morning
she discovered something that involves us all.” She scanned over the
crowd, of the last people from third world one was missing. “Did one of
your people join you fairly recently?” she asked Cardill.
“Um, I think a man came to us about two weeks ago. Why?”
“That man,” Ylaii announced, “Was a spy.” there was the sound of breaths
taken in sharply. “In the middle of the night he tried to go to fairy
world, Ember heard him and offered to go with him to transport him to
Hertun. So they went, but the man hit Ember over the head and put her in
jail, telling his master, Retinus, about fairy world. He mentioned
getting the part fairies from third world back, so everyone be on your
guard. If you see anything unusual, come straight to me. After Ember
escaped she found this letter.” Ylaii held the letter up and read part
of it aloud.
“ ‘To the royal King of this land,
When I came upon this news, that there is a portal that other evil
fairies could travel through, there was only one course of action that
occurred to me. War. We must unite our whole world and go to war with
fairy world, to ensure that no evil fairies will rampage our world
again.’ The evil men who captured Ember know about the gate. They are
planning to get the Kings help and try to take over Fairy World.”
There was absolute silence from the room. Not a person stirred. Finally
Dagnios spoke up, saying, “Well, we cant let them do that!”
“No!” Other people joined in, saying their piece. “We must tell the
rulers of Fairy World at once!” “We must fight back!”
Ylaii raised her hand, silencing the noisy room. “I was thinking,” she
said, “If it might be better if we just seal off the gate. That’s what
we did five thousand years ago, and it worked. No blood would be shed,
no one would die.” There was silence again, and people started nodding.
“That would work,” they said quietly amongst themselves.
“No!” Ember stood at the doorway, looking pale. “We cant do that!”
“Ember!” Taran made his way towards her, but she continued speaking.
“What about all the part fairies still there? If we did that they would
continue living in danger and misery. Retinus might even use them to
take over his world.”
“But Ember,” Ylaii reasoned. “The risk is too great. If you or any one
of us were to go back there, Retinus and his helpers would know about it
and try to capture you again.”
“I know,” Ember said firmly. “But everyone there is living in a lot more
danger than that. We could just make it one trip, ten or so of us going
to different towns. I would transport them all to where they needed to
go, we would convince all the part fairies there, and bring them back to
Fairy World. Retinus and his men couldn’t possibly be in all ten towns
at once. Then when we’ve got everybody, we can seal the gate.”
Ylaii thought about it. She would feel horrible if she left all the part
fairies there, but could they afford to endanger everyone here? “All
right,” she decided at last. “We will go one last time to Fairy World,
to rescue everyone there. And then the gate will be sealed off.
Forever.” And then Ember fainted.

I was so embarrassed when I woke up. I mean, who faints? Really faints,
with the whole falling backwards only to be caught in Tarans arms and
sleeping for six hours thing. And it wasn’t even that I was sick, I was
just tired. Which wasn’t half an excuse in my mind. Of course, Ylaii and
Gerido and everyone fussed over me when I woke up, insisting I eat lunch
(far overdue lunch) and drink tea and have a bath. I didn’t mind the
bath though.
Relaxing there in the bath let my mind catch up with everything that had
happened, giving me a chance to think things over. My stand in the
cafeteria had been the right thing to do, and it was a good thing I
wandered in before everything was all decided, but we would have to make
a quick job of it. Retinus and his spy didn’t seem like the kind of
people to let anything go, and my escaping would definitely have set
them off. I hoped they wouldn’t take it out on the people here while me
and everyone were gone.
Going to sleep that night was not very successful. Thinking about
everything that had happened today, everything that would happen
tomorrow-- my mind was a whirl of thought that could not be chased down
and stuck somewhere far away. Whenever my eyes managed to close and my
thoughts trickled to a slowly moving stream, I would think about how I
wasn’t thinking anything at the moment and they would start up again
like a flash flood.
Finally I fell into that half sleep state, where you think something
normal like ‘Tomorrow could either go really good or really bad’ and it
takes on a life of its own and turns into something really weird, like
‘Tomorrow could either eat tigers or fly away.’ So it was in that state
that I found the memory. It was tucked way back, so far into the
recesses of my brain that I knew I wouldn’t be able to find it unless I
was semi-unconscious. I was just thinking about my parents, wondering if
they had died in a train crash or an airplane crash, when I saw a face.
Thinking about the train had probably triggered it, there was a busy
train station around the face. It was like watching an old black and
white movie, people walked by and talked but there was no sound. The
face was smiling at me and holding me in his arms. Now there was a
sound, a voice floating down softly as if a long way away.
‘Ember, my darling,’ it said, and somehow I knew that the voice was
coming from his mouth. The baby me lifted its fingers and tried to stick
them in, the man who I dared to think was my Father, smiled and took
them in his hand. ‘You may not see me again, and I doubt you’ll even
remember this. But if you do, make your grandfather tell you how we
died.’ the voice went on whispering lovingly but I was still aghast over
that last sentence, they knew they were going to die? I came back to my
senses and listened before I lost too much. ‘keep it from you, he’ll
want to protect you from the sadness of knowing. But when you’re a
teenager you’ll need to know. I do hope you’ll remember this, because
you also need to know that we love you. Your mother isn’t here right now
to tell you, but she loves you as much as I do.’ then the face came
closer and kissed baby me on the forehead, and I was handed to someone.
My view spun around and now I could see grandfathers face, looking
younger and very sad. He held me up so I could see my Father one last
time, so I saw him board the train and turn to look at me, not waving
but those eyes staying on mine the whole time as the train chugged away.
And then the memory was gone. I blinked back tears, all thoughts of
today and tomorrow gone. I could only think about the memory. My Father
and mother had known they were going to die? Why couldn’t I have grown
up with parents, and such loving parents like those? Why did they have
to die? Now I was downright sobbing, my tears soaking into the pillow. I
wanted to pound my bed at the unfairness of it all, but the moon shining
down through the window stopped me. In its calm sereneness, the silvery
beams danced alone. The moon and the hooting of the owl outside stilled
my tears, the night seemed melancholy for my sake. I sat up and stared
out the window, not starting when I heard the door open.
“Ember?” It was Taran. “Are you all right?”
“Yes,” I said after a moment, not quite able to keep the quiver out of
my voice. I looked down and my hair fell about my face, hiding the
tears. Taran slowly came forward and sat sideways on the bed, looking at
the moon and me silently. “It was just a memory,” I shook my hair back
and smiled, or tried to. “One of my Father. I didn’t think I had any
memories of him.”
“Did they die?” he asked quietly, his voice low. I nodded and looked
straight at the moon, pretending its brightness was making my eyes
water. “I’m sorry,” was all Taran said and we sat that way for a long time.

So today was really awful for writing, I was naughty and cheated :D I put in author comments, which were very despairing and silly. But I decided I'm just going to put in author comments instead of just writing horrible stuff, because I dont want to ruin it.
There you go! Hope it wasnt too horribly confusing. :D
Kelia (KrazyK)

4 comments:

AnnaRose said...

Amazing!!!!!!!!
... I hate living with you, you know everything I'm going to say...
Hah. Kidding.
VERY glad you fixed it, m'dear, and honesly, Ember is one cool chick. I like Taran too. =P
Keep at it!!!

<3333
Annapaaaants

LiterallyLauren said...

I hate talking to you, because I don't live with you and yet you ALREADY know what I'm going to say!!

It was WOW. MORE THAN WOW.
...
It's like HOLYCRAPWHOA.

More, more, more, more, more, more. And TARAN! :D

<3333333333333333
L♥

Miss Katie said...

Okay.

So. Yeah. I'm late on posting but I have a REALLY good reason. Three really.

1. NaNoWriMo has got my head spinning. (Good or bad?)

2. MY BROTHER JOHN'S HOME!!!!!

3. I had no idea WHAT to say.

Number three is NOT a bad thing. I can't think of what to say because it's too amazing!

I love Ember and Taran. So AWESOME!!!!!! AHHH!!!!!



(pst Lauren sorry about abandoning you online my brother kidnapped me from it LMAO)

AnnaRose said...

Thanks everyone! You know I appreciate it.

Sometimes I dont know why I even do nanowrimo its so annoying. Dont get too stressed out Katie (thats an order :D) and I hope you catch up Lauren! You will.

Hehe I like Taran too.
Kelia